ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 384 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Bill & Electricmanscott:
The best idea that I heard is "point them to a pro"
It's amazing that people will actually "pay" someone for advice via e-mail or chat.
I wonder if a person that gets "bad advice" from the net has a legal recourse????

See ya later
HotLine1
John

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Bob's a bummer,
unmonitored prostitution of any given trade

not all DYI forums are like this

This was a good forum at one time.
One needs, as a tradesman, to be able to converse understandably the specific's of our trade to the general public.

This goes double for contracting....

They are currently looking for moderators.

Moderator Compensations Offered:
Moderator Pay: ZERO....
Moderator Benefits: NONE....
Rewards...Plenty...Self Satisfaction Helping Others....

IMO, Warren Goodrich came across better than many on the net, but he has run off to his own forum and changed servers so many times i've lost touch.
[Linked Image]

P
John,

Have to agree with you that I don't understand people paying. Charging for advice is one thing, but the only way I could feel comfortable about doing so in these sorts of situations would be if I actually went and saw the problem for myself. There are just too many variables otherwise.

C
Absoultely right, Paul! If you read alot of the responses, they go way above and beyond what was originally asked. The "advice" ends up far more complicated than it started out. As you said, there are far too many variables to accuurately diagnose many electrical problems on a public forum.

Peter
S
CTwireman
(et all)
it simply depends on to the extent both parties (inquisitor and advisor) are willing to go....not all DIY'er forums are created equal, and BOB is IMO a glaring example...

I pose this recent thread as example, in the electrical part of same forum

( took me awhile to find Warren & co..)

I have participated in the past to hone my own contractors vernacular per se'

An important attribute considering there are no OC permits or single fam inspections in my state of Vt.
Last but least, the roving bands of 'Uncle Fester'lectrican-at-large' are ever willing to provide competition here
(and time bombs free of charge)

Consider also my nieghboring state of NH , which has laws, that are enforced should only a conflaguration be seen from the state capitol.

Like it or not, we're a growing DIY society run rampant with said mindset of both large and small home centers.
The concept all but drowns out the small 'hire a tradesman' disclaimer seen in small print on the spanish side of enclosed instructions.

The sad part is , this position is reenforced by our own trade orginizations avocation by silence.... [Linked Image]

Point?

Well, if your going to contract, you're not going to do so spitting raw code articles all day.
There's nothing worse than customers viewing you as condensending, or a prima donna. [Linked Image]

You'll need to speak clear english and provide a rational explanation as to WHY we have to do what we do, and WHY it is the safe way to do it.

If your phone rings as much as mine, you'll need choose your words carefully and try simple diagnostics in easy to understand terminology with people, or go hungry...

rrrruuuubbber biscuit! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 08-22-2002).]

C
With 2000 Big Boxes and counting, this problem is not going away any time soon.

What irks me is the notion that Internet Advice + Supplies/advice from Big Box + How-to Book/TV show = Instant Electrician.

Yet, to become a journeyman in my state requires 8000 hours of OJT plus 150 hours of class time per year for 4 years.

So, with that in mind,
How can DIYers be expected to do wiring properly and safely?

Not many.

DIYers will always be able to find enough information to be dangerous, be it from a book or the internet.

I, for one, will not remain silent in my objections to unqualified/untrained people doing electrical work.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 08-22-2002).]

Peter
R
Does anyone have knowledge of any lawsuits to date from this kind of cyberspace advice?

If not, it's coming when a death or fire happens, even if the advice was perfect.

Would a Surgeon or a Veterinarian give advice over the internet to someone who sewed up their drunken buddy or hunting dog because the DIYer had some experience?

Electricity is no less dangerous.

Extreeme comparison but relative.

Roger

H
Joe,

Remember when we were called the "Secret Society" of electricians. Because they thought that we were better than them? Or so they thought. How many hours of free advice did we give them. And al because we want safety first. period

Caper

Caper:

Yes I remember, and that was back in 1990 when we had some real PITA'ss. We settled their concerns because we all stuck together!

Those days are gone forever!

Joe "The Nail"

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
From a recent brand-“L” GFCI instruction leaflet…

Should you install it?

Make sure that you:

· Understand basic wiring principles and techniques

· Can interpret wiring diagrams

· Have circuit wiring experience

· Are prepared to take a few minutes to test your work, making sure that you have wired the GFCI receptacle correctly.

I can imagine the this text was carefully reviewed by a big-budget legal staff.

To what degree does this verbiage relieve the electrical manufacturer from liability?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard