ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#81432 08/17/02 10:07 AM
G
Gwz Offline OP
What is the exact definition of Cable?

Some mentions of Cable;
Chapter 9 Table 1 notes (5) and (9).

325-1 - Type IGS cable is a factory assembly of one or more conductors, - - -.

328-2 - type FCC cable consists of 3 or more - - -.

330-1 - Type MI - - - cable is a factory assembly of one ore more conductors - - -.

334-1 - Type MC cable is a factory assembly of one or more insulated circuit conductors - - -.

336-2 - Nonmetallic sheathed cable is a factory assembly of two or more insulated conductors - - -.

370-17(b) - -. Where raceway or cable - - -.

370-17(c) - - . In all instances, all permitted wiring methods shall be secured to the boxes.

373-5(c) Cables. Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure.

Point of interest: Why shouldn't all conductor(s) , 1/C or more, be secured to enclosures?

Seen many installations where the GEC is installed through the "WEEP" hole of an enclosure with out being secured to the enclosure.

Is that WEEP hole to be used for another purpose ?

Glenn

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#81433 08/17/02 10:41 AM
Cable. A factory assembly of two or more conductors having an overall covering.

See 800.2, this is the only definition for the term cable that I could find in the entire selection of the NFC via the NFPA Glossary.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#81434 08/17/02 11:04 AM
So, uh, triplex cable, uh "isn't".

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#81435 08/17/02 11:22 AM
T
Cable is any assembly of one or more conductors that is suitable for use without aditional physical protection. Single conductor underground feeder cable is installed by the thousands of feet weekly. The definitions in article 800 are only intended to apply to that article.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#81436 08/17/02 11:55 AM
tdhorne:

Please provide us with a specific reference that can be found in the 2002 NEC for your definition.

You are correct, the Article 800 definition is for that article only, see 90.3

We really have to be careful when posting information here, because there are many who may rely on this information, even though it is not an official interpretation.

I would like to see the people who post messages here add the edition of the National Electrical Code that they are using.

#81437 08/17/02 07:50 PM
396.2 Definition.
Messenger Supported Wiring. An exposed wiring support system using a messenger wire to support insulated conductors by any one of the following:

(1) A messenger with rings and saddles for conductor support

(2) A messenger with a field-installed lashing material for conductor support

(3) Factory-assembled aerial cable

(4) Multiplex cables utilizing a bare conductor, factory assembled and twisted with one or more insulated conductors, such as duplex, triplex, or quadruplex type of construction

#81438 09/07/02 08:05 PM
T
Joe Tedesco Wrote:

tdhorne:

Please provide us with a specific reference that can be found in the 2002 NEC for your definition.

You are correct, the Article 800 definition is for that article only, see 90.3

We really have to be careful when posting information here, because there are many who may rely on this information, even though it is not an official interpretation.

I would like to see the people who post messages here add the edition of the National Electrical Code that they are using.

Joe
I did not mean to assert that mine was an NEC definition but that does not mean that the one I offered is without merit. I was drawing from the multiple times that the NEC uses the phrase one or more conductors that is obviously based on whether that particular cable type is available in a single conductor version. If you have an authoritative description that contradicts this it would be useful if you would share it.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#81439 09/07/02 08:38 PM
Glenn and Tom:

110.3(B) could be considered, and when I searched the Southwire Glossary this is what came up when I searched for the term Cable. See the Scope statement in Article 100 as well.

Cable: A term generally applied to the larger sizes of bare or weatherproofed (covered) and insulated conductors, also applied to describe a number of insulated conductors twisted or grouped together.

As far as the question concerning the "weep hole" it is to be used for that purpose only. The 2002 NEC revision in 110.12(A) and the NECH Commentary make that clear.

#81440 09/07/02 11:45 PM
G
UL states that triplex and quadruplex are only investigated as single conductors only, they have NOT, nor have they been, investigated as an assembly.

The info is on the UL website. It is also on my computer at work, if anyone cannot find the reference, and needs it for some reason, let me know and I'll post it early Monday morning.

Link Copied to Clipboard