ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 559 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#81354 08/06/02 06:45 AM
S
Yeah , Virg is right..sorry Reel-Break, just goofin'...

on topic...

If i'm 'let' to do a quality job, i'll do a meter/main and have mains in all subs, and TVSS on all the mains

(This is where you guys may differ)

This is just my technique .....the 'let thru' is then a combination of the mains in series....helps all those frail AFCI's survive...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#81355 08/06/02 08:49 AM
R
Ok I read the articals and I`ll asure you I`ll remember this one.I don`t want to be removed from the board but why If someone ask a question if it is to elementary for a good responce or should I say a positive one why would you bother to reply.I went back last night and searched everyones past post and questions and to be honest I knew some of the answers and even thought to myself hey I`m not to stupid after all.Well lets stop the mud slinging. I`m sorry for the negative remarks to JBD posted yesterday.
Back to drillin and pullin wire.

#81356 08/06/02 09:58 AM
J
JBD Offline
Reel-Break,

I ment to be only a little sarcastic. This comment was really intended for your friend.

As I read your post it looked like your friend wanted us to defend ourselves against the builder.

May be its time for a group hug.
Jim

#81357 08/06/02 10:31 AM
Awwwww!

*group hug*

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#81358 08/06/02 04:02 PM
B
'66wv—

Would you please email me one of those little plastic-lined bags from an airplane? I think I'm going to barf any moment now. ;-)

Seriously, this discussion sounds a lot like another “regional differences—local customs” thing. Seems in this area [NorCAL] most always NEMA 3R meter/main/branch-circuit combinations for residential are the norm, but then snow fell for a couple of hours last February, and a taking a leak on the sidewalk got rid of it. 1976 was the last one before that.

Although it’s not against local/national codes, inspectors would wig out not seeing at least a main disconnect at the meter. {“What if there’s a fire?” they’d say.} The house I’m in has a cheeseball 125A Murray everything/combination box that came with air-conditioning in 1979, and next to it is the original double-plug-fuse-main gutted-for-a-jbox-now from 1935. Wall-hung/all outdoors is routine for up to the 400A bolt-on meters.

#81359 08/06/02 05:00 PM
S
please,Bjarney...i've been barfed on enough in EMS.... [Linked Image]

All these Genny's & T-switch deals out there the customers show up with, never know if thier service rated, AIC , etc....

I guess i'm just a meter/main advocate.

We have one ( of many) local poco's that asks for meter/mains...

asks... not demands.....

#81360 08/06/02 07:20 PM
A
Reel Break, I'll try to answer your question. I am assuming yor 200A panel has a MB and is the service equipment. The six circuit rule is often misunderstood. This comes from 230.71 that states that up to six discos, switches or breakers may be grouped together with out a main at the service equipment. This rule has nothing to do with your 125amp sub panel. Yes you will have to take a fourth grounding conductor to the panel. You are not required to have a main in the sub panel but I know of inspectors that require factory installed (bolt in, not back fed) mains in all subs for safety reasons.

Hope that helps.

#81361 08/07/02 05:55 AM
E
Arseegee, these inspectors that require this, are they under the NEC? there is no requirement for a main breaker in a "sub panel". If these inspectors are under the NEC they have no right to require anything over and above regardless os their views on safety or such. I know this is off the topic but I will never accept inspectors making up the rules as they go. It is not right and it is counterproductive to everything that the NEC is.

#81362 08/07/02 08:58 PM
A
E-scott, I went round and round with an inspector in a neighboring county over this, I drilled him on the code and finally got him to admit that I was right. He then stated that the NEC is the minimum requirements for an electrical installation and that he was requiring a main in the sub panel. I then walked away shaking my head knowing that I would have to play his game to get passed.

#81363 08/07/02 10:52 PM
G
arseegee ---

The local code (NEC) is the minimum you can build to. It is also the maximum the AHJ can enforce.

To resolve this problem with the inspector, have him write a violation notice, appeal to the appeals board, and the appeal to the local court. (I suspect that is the appeals order in most juristictions.)

Appeals to the local court are often free if you win.

Drill the inspector in court with the same questions and you will prevail.

The inspector will not mess with you in the future.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard