ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8126 03/09/02 10:32 AM
D
donles Offline OP
Anyone know of an instrument that would allow me to trace a NM cable that's running within a house's exterior wall? Brick exterior/ drywall interior.
I was asked to find why three outdoor receptacles are not working. The house is 10 years old and the cheapie receptacles are backwired. I've gone through and looked at and replaced the connection method at all receptacles that I think could be feeding these three. I've looked in the breaker panels for loose connections or bad breakers.
The outlets are about 30' apart. On one end the box has two cables entering, one the opposite end, one cable enters, so I think I know how the circuit should flow. I'm beginning to think that these receptacles were never powered even though there appears to be a feed coming into one box or the cable has been cut while some work was being done and somehow nothing was done about it.
I seem to remember an instrument called a tick tracer for tracing cables in walls.
Could someone elaborate?
don

#8127 03/09/02 11:10 AM
E
Try X-ray vision glasses. They work well with the ladies also! Seriously I am not sure about such a tool. I have a Volt Tick that idebtifies voltage wihtout making contact. Perhaps there is a variation of this that will do what you want. I'm sure someone here will know.

#8128 03/09/02 11:33 AM
G
We use our underground locator when faced with this situation.

Ours is made by progressive electronics, but any RF locator should work. Just hook it to the feed at the receptacle and trace back til the signal goes away. That point will be your break.

I assume that you have checked for the ground and neutral at the recep.??

GJ

#8129 03/09/02 07:12 PM
Don,

First question I always ask is did they ever work? Did you check for GFCIs around the house? The feed may come from a GFCI protected outlet somewhere. Maybe something loosened up or was changed in one of these locations.

Good Luck,

Bill

Bill
#8130 03/10/02 12:37 AM
W
Amprobe makes a kit that will track live or dead wires. It aint cheap,but it does work.

Here is a description from W.W. Grainger
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611625570

Link Copied to Clipboard