ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8121 03/08/02 03:56 PM
E
Hello all

I am a maintenance electrician for a State University in Massachusetts.

This website and discussion forum are a great knowledge sharing resource that I visit daily.

Stay safe.

#8122 03/08/02 04:47 PM
Welcome:

Do you have to follow the NEC and the Massachusetts Electrical Code amendments, and are the electrical installations at your university subject to electrical inspection by an electrical inspector at the state level, or from the local building department?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#8123 03/08/02 11:17 PM
Hello,

Welcome! we're looking forward to your participation.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#8124 03/09/02 09:47 AM
E
Niether. I always follow current NEC using MA ammendments. I also frequently use the NFPA, UL, ADA....

Here at the University nothing in-house gets inspected which has always seemed to me to be almost criminal. I spent 5 years in the maintenance electrical shop and about 6 years ago I became responsible for the computer room wiring (power, data, telecom, hvac) for a total of 11 years. I run my own show in the computer room as they realize the importance of their raised floor more and more as the days go by and also realize that the electric shop cannot be trusted to perform work in this critical environment. I've been told that the in house Professional Engineers are responsible for the work they stamp. Does this sound correct ? I never bought it and always wished that inspectors would become part of the process but this would slow everything down in an already sluggish environment.

My biggest frustration was working in the electric shop dealing with guys that have been protected by the state system for so long they have forgotten what goes on in the real world. The best move I ever made was moving over to the computer room side of the house.

I have often raised the question about inspections on in-house work and frequently got the cold shoulder from the electrical supervisor, whom by the way is the worst hack I have ever seen.....but he is protected by the state system. Very frustrating when you start to understand the scope of damage that this guy has allowed to pass as acceptable work. This was why I got out of the shop and moved on to bigger and better opportunities.

By the way, I know that my facility is not the only state buildings not being inspected. There are many others.

#8125 03/10/02 07:33 PM
Welcome.

Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

Link Copied to Clipboard