ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8104 03/07/02 09:54 PM
M
menegt Offline OP
Sorry for the ignorance people but, our University just built this fancy fountain.

The sump pump along w/ the controls, timer and pump related equip are in a underground vault.

It just rained recently and the GFCI circuit for the sump pump had tripped. Water was almost to the controls. I suggested calling
back the contractor to replace sump pump. Contractor says there was a surge that took place?!(*&^( [Linked Image]

Is the motor on a sump pump (or any single phase motor) that is on a GFCI circuit supposed to have a certain rating/designation/efficiency? This has happened a few times already.

Appreciate the help. Great site.
IBEW 340 - Mike

R
What is the reasoning behind the sump pump being on a GFCI?

M
menegt Offline OP
sorry, i meant GFI circuit. It's coming off a GFI breaker w/ a GFCI receptacle on the same circuit.

R
What I'm saying is, I don't beleive the sump pump is required to be, or should be, on a GFI.

M
menegt Offline OP
When running a submersable pump for a fountain the pump is required to be on a GFI.
680-51

F
Are we talking about two different pump motors? The decorative fountain pump motor is required to be GFCI protected. A sump pump (ejector pump) is not required to be GFCI protected.

M
menegt Offline OP
Frank, can you direct me to where in the code that it says that a sump pump for a fountain not be GFI protected? This is an in ground vault about 5' deep containing the fountain pump, fiber optic lighting and controls for the fountain. Thanks.

Mike,

I think there's a bit of confusion over what type of pump you are talking about. When I hear 'sump pump' I think of a pump that is installed to prevent flooding, or an ejection pump. It operates on a float switch which turns the pump on when water rises to a certain level. I'm reasonably sure that this is what Frank and Redsy are referring to.

Is that what you mean? Or are you referring to a pump that shoots the water in the air for the fountain?

Bill

Bill
M
menegt Offline OP
In the vault there is a sump pump that prevents flooding of the vault. It has a float used to switch on the sump pump. There is a pump that cirulates water and pumps water into the fountain. My problem is that when the sump pump circuit which is on a GFI circuit trips, the controls are in danger of water damage (if the water level gets that high). Is there a certain motor I should use on a GFI circuit? Code says that the sump pump has to be on a GFI circuit. Actually the fountain pump (for pumping water into the fountain) has to be on a GFI circuit also. Thanks.... Mike

R
I don't believe the intention of 680.51(A) requires you to include your sump pump as a part of "fountain equipment".
The submersible pump they refer to is a pump that would sit at the bottom of the reservoir that is filled with the water that you are circulating through your fountain.
I think you can remove the GFCI from the sump pump.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 03-13-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard