Here is a proposal I sent for a new section in Article 110. I believe it is time for this to be added to the 2005 NEC.

Proposal for NFPA 70
Submitter: Joe Tedesco

ROP/ROC Option: CDROM

Proposal for NFPA: 70
Section/Paragraph: 110.3
Recommendation: 110.3. Permanent Wiring: Permanent wiring abandoned in place shall be tagged or otherwise identified at its termination and junction points as “Abandoned in Place” or removed from all accessible areas and insulated from contact with other live electrical wiring or devices.

Substantiation: The NFC and NEC covers this situation in many locations and should include the same requirement in the NEC. See NFPA 76 and 914 identified below.

NFPA 76, 9.10.2 Where practical, unused or dead cable should be mined (removed) and discarded. Care should be taken during the removal process so as to protect the existing live cables from damage. All cables that have been cut and abandoned in place should be capped.

A.1.3.2 Alterations or new installations in existing facilities should not diminish the level of protection below that which existed prior to the alteration except that protection features in excess of those features recommended in this document can be left in service, removed, or abandoned in place.

If abandoned in place, such systems should be clearly identified as no longer being in service.

NFPA 914, 9.7.4 Permanent wiring abandoned in place shall be tagged or otherwise identified at its termination and junction points as “Abandoned in Place,” or it shall be removed from all accessible areas and insulated from contact with other live electrical wiring or devices.

NEC 2002, 372.13 Discontinued Outlets. When an outlet is abandoned, discontinued, or removed, the sections of circuit conductors supplying the outlet shall be removed from the raceway. No splices or reinsulated conductors, such as would be the case of abandoned outlets on loop wiring, shall be allowed in raceways.

NEC 2002, 374.7 Discontinued Outlets. When an outlet is abandoned, discontinued, or removed, the sections of circuit conductors supplying the outlet shall be removed from the raceway. No splices or reinsulated conductors, such as would be the case with abandoned outlets on loop wiring, shall be allowed in raceways.

NEC 2002, 390.7 Discontinued Outlets. When an outlet is abandoned, discontinued, or removed, the sections of circuit conductors supplying the outlet shall be removed from the raceway. No splices or reinsulated conductors, such as would be the case with abandoned outlets on loop wiring, shall be allowed in raceways.

See also the 2002 NEC Sections 640.2; 640.3(A); 645.5(6); 725.2; 725.3(B); 725.61(A) and (B)(1); 725.61(E);760.2; 760.3(A); 760.61(A) and (B)(1); 770.2; 770.3(A);770.53(A) and (B)(1); 800.2; 800.52(B); 800.53(A) and (B)(1); 820.2; 820.3(A); 820.53(A) and (B)(1); 820.53(D); and 830.2; 830.3; 830.55(B) and (C)(1).

NFPA 75, Section 4-3.4* Abandoned cables shall not be allowed to accumulate. Cables not identified for future use shall be removed. NFPA 75, *A-4-3.4 Abandoned cable can interfere with airflow and extinguishing systems. Abandoned cable also adds to the fuel loading.

Change Recommends: New Text
Original Material: No
Material Source: NFPA 1, 2002 Edition, Section 6-1.4

Please read carefully before completing the Submission Process: By clicking the Submit Button to transmit my Proposal or Comment via the NFPA website, I, the person named as the submitter of the Proposal or Comment, hereby grant the NFPA all and full rights, including rights in copyright, in the Proposal or Comment submitted. I understand that I acquire no rights in any publication (in print or electronic format) of the NFPA in which this Proposal or Comment in this or another similar or analogous form are used. I further understand that in submitting and granting rights in the Proposal or Comment, I am entering a contract with the NFPA and that, by clicking on the Submit Button, I am signing that contract. (NFPA, may at its discretion, require that this contract be re-executed on paper prior to any publication of the Proposal or Comment.)

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 07-31-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant