ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 231 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#8095 03/15/02 09:17 PM
Broom Pusher and
Tiffany,

If I was the Interviewer, the ONLY ANSWER I would have accepted was the one you gave!!!

Go back to that Hardware Store and kick that Joker in the ... err.....-you know what/where!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#8096 03/20/02 11:59 PM
E
Warning, flaming can be dangerous to your financial future. I was checking out another forum and one of the moderators posted a warning about flaming and law suits. Apparently, if you have some strongly negative things to say about an individual or ocompany, you can lose your a**. However, when there have been cases where it has been a gang flame, then the courts throw it out. The more - the better. Don't be the only one with a gripe.

#8097 03/21/02 01:08 AM
However, when there have been cases where it has been a GANG FLAME, then the courts throw it out. The more - the better. Don't be the only one with a gripe.
"Gang Flame?"
"Gang Flame?" [Linked Image]
Is that anything like a Gang B@ng?
I understand your concern, but if these companies can't take critism from us (I would consider us the "guardians" of the electrical industry), then they have much bigger problems than their lawyers can solve by trying to get money out of some poor electrician. The fact is, they sould listen to us. Why? Because the $45,000.00 life savings that they get from some honest, hard working electrician is nothing compared to the $45,000,000.00 payment that they make to a customer (who had good intentions) who burns his house down, and kills his wife and kids. Customer's response, "Well, that guy over at @#$%@ store told me that I didn't need an electrician. His customers build 200 amp services all the time with no prior experience."
Home Depologically Yours,
Doc
Guardian of the Electrical Industy

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#8098 03/21/02 12:04 PM
D
In western Kansas we do not have Lowes or Home Depot. You have to drive at least 200 miles to find one. (Wait a minute, western Kansas driving 200 miles to find anything is normal.)
lol ;-)
Any way, here in the west, most city code adoptions do not allow home owners to work on any of the service equipment. And even some towns require on new construction if the basement is not finished the electrical wiring down stairs still must follow the 12 foot rule with receptacles and have lights and switches installed before the house can pass final inspection. As far as the stores they should be used to get parts not training. Electrical wholesellers around here have been hit by contractors not to train over-the-counter.

[This message has been edited by DLinton (edited 03-21-2002).]

#8099 03/21/02 11:36 PM
A
One of my former employees is a "certified installer" for the big blue store. He didn't quite cut it for my company and I spent a great deal of time correcting his work. He never got it... some do, some don't. He was a helper who pulled wire and made up recepts. A couple of weeks ago one of my crews saw him at lunch and he told my guys that he was on his way to do a residential panel change out for the big blue store. My employees laughed about it when they told me but I found it to be very alarming that an "certified" unqualified person could put life and property at risk. It just goes to to show you how much THEY DON'T KNOW.

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 03-21-2002).]

#8100 03/22/02 12:33 AM
E
arseegee, are you saying the big blue store has an EC license and they let their clerks, I mean, "certified installers" do electrical work?

[This message has been edited by eesparx (edited 03-21-2002).]

#8101 03/22/02 09:46 PM
A
eesparx, they have no license, no training and know idea about what they are doing. This particular guy installs light fixtures, appliances, water heaters, etc.

#8102 03/30/02 01:20 AM
N
I just remembered that about 10 years ago I was getting a replacement hologen lamp for a fixture in my Dads house at the big orange store. I think I needed a 150 watt. They didn't have a 150 but did have a 100 watt of the same style. I thought since it is dimmed down any way a 100 watt would be just fine. The person helping me got wide eyed and sternly stated that the 100 watt will not work. I will have to order a 150. When I asked why he replied, "It will burn the ballast out!" I told him I will take my chances and bought the 100 watt lamp. I think it is still in the fixture to this date. I really didn't have the time to educate him on the differences between electric discharge lamps and halogens. Looking back maybe I should have tried. [Linked Image]

#8103 03/30/02 06:13 AM
S
Great post Tiffany!

I do try, like many here to be a good doobie, read my code book & gain from the group.
Yet as electure alludes to good guys finish last.
The frustration continues where constantly refined rules and codes are not enforced, as is the case in my state of Vermont.
[Linked Image]
So why fight it? Perhaps in my later years I shall assume employment in said places, and give 'off cuff' advice to DIYers', hold seminars on service upgrades ( with a hint of rum on my breath)while refering to TimeLife & DIYer GURU's Like This

see ya there!....... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image from threestooges.com]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard