ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 366 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#8085 03/12/02 09:44 PM
Come on, how many electricians does it take to put in a staple?
Please find a NEC reason for "insulated" staples.
Maybe the AHJ should look for some more (like the stuff he didn't catch, & probably doesn't know)
Lowes Blowes

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 03-12-2002).]

#8086 03/12/02 11:45 PM
S
Lowes may give bad advice but the price is better than my local supply house and so are the hours! I do hate to hear some of the advice they give to people though.

#8087 03/13/02 12:07 AM
C
electure-
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has found a reason. There are plenty of reasons not to use uninusulated staples, but I'm not going to get into it because this thread is getting ugly..... [Linked Image]

I thought this wasn't a place to bash companies. I agree that the advice is questionable at best but this appears to be another hot potato subject.

Maybe it's time to lock this one up....

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 03-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 03-12-2002).]

Peter
#8088 03/13/02 12:35 AM
T
I have never step foot in a Lowe's store, so I haven't had the pleasure of getting any advice from an "associate" there. I have actually applied for a job at our local hardware store - and this was an actual question put forth to me in the interview.
A customer comes in and wants to purchase everything needed to put in a service, what will you tell them they need and how to "put it in"? My answer was...... If the customer has no experience with any electrical work, and has never wired anything before - I would definitely suggest they consult an electrician, before starting any work at all.
The electrical department "manager" son in law of the owner, must not have been impressed with that answer because he got up and walked out of the interview. Haven't heard whether I got the job or not (been sitting by the phone since October) HA!!! NOT.
I am thankful I didn't get into the position of having to give uneducated advice that could possibly cause someone even less educated than myself to do something improperly and harm themself or others.
These associates are low paid grunts as far as i am concerned - that have been put in the position of selling large quantities of items, so many one not trained or working in the field couldn't possibly stay up to date on. So when the management says we need to sell more of this item or that item, then you either try your dernedest to sell more items or you get bathroom clean up duty on night shift.
Just MHO, Tiff

#8089 03/13/02 03:19 AM
Tiff,
The sparks were flying off your post, girl. [Linked Image] With all respect, Mrs. Sparks, I wouldn't use the word grunts to describe them. Most of them are just trying to do their jobs. I do hold them partly responsible for not learning more about the industry. I hold the Big Blue, and the Large Orange management partly responsible for not better training their people. I also hold the uneducated consumer responsible as well. The fact is, there is a thing out there called freedom, and I grit my teeth when I say that people have a right (IMHO) to work on their own property. Why the teeth grinding, you ask? Because I hate the thought of someone getting killed with electrical work that they did with no qualifications, but in a free society, we are even free to be stupid.
IMHO education is the key. I think it holds true for all parties involved, but the largest burden should fall on the consumer. Why? Because it's their property, their family, their life that they are taking into their own hands by doing improper electrical work. I say these things with the utmost respect for all who post here, and I say it with part of myself in agreement, and the part of me at odds. My heart says, "They have no business doing this work. My head says, "You can't limit (more than already is) what people have the freedom to do.
Tiff, God Bless you, girl, for taking a stand, especially if it caused you to not get a job. If they can't handle the truth, you're better off not working for them anyway.

Sincerely, and Respectfully Yours,
Greg

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#8090 03/13/02 09:58 AM
Tom Offline
Tiffany.

I've always admired someone who could stand up for a principle & sit down in their own seat.

Advice has consequences. In the case of the lumberyards, the word is evidently not getting back to management (or they're ignoring it) that their employee's bad advice is costing their customers time & money.

In my case, I have to drive a long way on some inspections & after a certain point, I have to charge for the return visit. So it is costing the homeowner an extra $65 minimum for the re-inspection plus any material he had to discard & close to one hour drive time (one way) back to the lumberyard.

I think there should be a big sign in these stores "Advice is worth what you pay for it."

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#8091 03/13/02 08:39 PM
C
Lets be fair here....Sure, everyone has complaints about Lowes and Home Depot, including myself....but the service at some supply stores leaves a lot to be desired!!!

Peter
#8092 03/13/02 09:09 PM
M
The funniest thing I saw the other day while walking through Home Depot, was where they have the display of an electrical service, big as life, you know the one the 100 amp meter base mounted on a steel stanchon,shortened version of the seu cable & ct, well right on the front of it was a big ' Red Tag ', and below that was a 'stop work order, I couldnt believe laughed all the way to the front door.

#8093 03/13/02 09:31 PM
Car...oops Tiffany,
Hang in there!!
Morality and ethics are something that we've all been taught. Follow them, and you're sure to lose more money than you can afford, (When's the payoff? When I'm dead??)
I follow the same rules.
Chin Up/Nose Up

#8094 03/14/02 11:50 PM
J
Tiffany,

You said something about the low paid help at the home centers. I spoke to someone the other day at Home Cheapo. He said they start about $10/hr. and go up. He knew one person that left contracting to work the electrical department that was over $20 per hour.

Along with the advice I wished there was some way to prevent them from selling materials that should require a permit and be inspected.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard