ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Go to:

http://forums.nfpa.org:8081/pcsubmit/pcsrch.html

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Thanks Joe.
I do have a particular peeve with 680.22, so Here's my contribution, if only to gain some feedback as to the CMP's rationale...

[Linked Image]

H
Joe,

Thanks you make my life easier. I have been sending in code proposals for awhile now and I keep forgetting where the forms are. I have a few proposals to make, so lets see what happens.

Harold aka Caper

Just a few days left for proposals to be sent to NFPA.

They must be received by them before November 1, 2002.

I sent in a few so far, and expect to send a few more before the end of the week.

Now's the time to get that proposal sent in for the 2005 NEC.

http://forums.nfpa.org:8081/pcsubmit/pcsrch.html

Need help? --- let me know!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-23-2002).]

S
Joe,
not to highjack your thread, but how does one ask for a 'Formal interpertaion' ?

[Linked Image]

Can a proposal be made with 2 solutions offered? or must they be separate proposals?

Example:
I think this rule is NG as it is and suggest either it be changed to This or it be removed entirely.

Bill Addiss

Bill
Sparky:

If the question is one of major concerns nationwide involving some of the major players, the FI may be considered.

I would suggest that you send your question to the NFPA asking for some help. See the NECH Commentary below.

The 2002 NEC in Section 90.6 Formal Interpretations.

"To promote uniformity of interpretation and application of the provisions of this Code, formal interpretation procedures have been established and are found in the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects."

The procedures for implementing Formal Interpretations of the provisions of the NEC are outlined in “NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects.”

These regulations are included in the NFPA Directory, which is published annually and can be obtained from the Secretary of the NFPA Standards Council.

The Formal Interpretations procedure can be found in Section 6 of the Regulations.

The National Electrical Code Committee cannot be responsible for subsequent actions of authorities enforcing the NEC that accept or reject its findings.

The authority having jurisdiction is responsible for interpreting Code rules and should attempt to resolve all disagreements at the local level.

Two general forms of Formal Interpretations are recognized: (1) those that are interpretations of the literal text and (2) those that are interpretations of the intent of the Committee at the time the particular text was issued.

Interpretations of the NEC not subject to processing are those that involve (a) a determination of compliance of a design, installation, product, or equivalency of protection; (b) a review of plans or specifications or judgment or knowledge that can be acquired only as a result of on-site inspection; (c) text that clearly and decisively provides the requested information; or (d) subjects not previously considered by the Technical Committee or not addressed in the document.

Formal Interpretations of Code rules are published in the NFPA Electrical Section News Bulletin, “Current Flashes,” and in the National Fire Codes subscription service and are sent to interested trade publications.

Most interpretations of the NEC are rendered as the personal opinions of NFPA Electrical Engineering staff or of an involved member of the National Electrical Code Committee because the request for interpretation does not qualify for processing as a Formal Interpretation in accordance with “NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects.”

Such opinions are rendered in writing only in response to written requests.

The correspondence contains a disclaimer indicating that it is not a Formal Interpretation issued pursuant to NFPA Regulations and that any opinion expressed is the personal opinion of the author and does not necessarily represent the official position of NFPA or the National Electrical Code Committee. Courtesy: www.nfpa.org

Bill:

If you send in one to delete the rule, the next one could be to revise, add or delete some of the text, etc.

I suggest one form for each proposal --

WE still have time to discuss it here if you want some suggestions.

sparky:

The link you posted above does not work. Also, look here for the NFPA disclaimer on their FAQ site:

http://forums.nfpa.org:8081/necfaq/necsrch.htm

Apparently the Online Form is down tonight (10/30/02) [Linked Image]

( http://forums.nfpa.org:8081/pcsubmit/pcsrch.html )

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-31-2002).]

Bill
For anyone interested, as of last night the online Form is functioning again.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard