ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#80647 05/04/02 09:52 PM
C
Cindy Offline OP
copied from 2002 nec:
110.22 Identification of Disconnecting Means.
Where circuit breakers or fuses are applied in compliance with the series combination ratings marked on the equipment by the manufacturer, the equipment enclosure(s) shall be legibly marked in the field to indicate the equipment has been applied with a series combination rating. The marking shall be readily visible and state the following:

CAUTION — SERIES COMBINATION SYSTEM
RATED ____ AMPERES. IDENTIFIED
REPLACEMENT COMPONENTS REQUIRED.

240.86 Series Ratings.
Where a circuit breaker is used on a circuit having an available fault current higher than its marked interrupting rating by being connected on the load side of an acceptable overcurrent protective device having the higher rating, 240.86(A) and (B) shall apply.
(A) Marking. The additional series combination interrupting rating shall be marked on the end use equipment, such as switchboards and panelboards.

then i copied this from bussmann:
As required in Section 110-22, the load-side panelboard/switchboard label shall be field marked with the short-circuit rating of the series combination, type circuit breaker for replacement, part number for the series rated line-side, feeder fuses and location/name of this fuse switch/panelboard/switchboard. The panel/switch with the line-side fuses shall be field marked with short-circuit rating of the series combination, part number for fuse replacement and the location/name of load-side, series rated panelboard/switchboard.

ok, but thats a lot of marking, so does everybody do this for every lighting panelboard?
or do you throw away the red sticker with the 110.22 blurb? [Linked Image]
or do you mark the line-side series rating on the red sticker at the load and line panel locations?
or am i just really lost?

the lighting panel comes with specs attached that says the panel itself is rated for 65,000a at 240v max, so the panel is marked already, and now i am supposed to identify the max short circuit rating for the breakers in that panel? is that right?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#80648 05/05/02 10:32 PM
R
Ron Offline
We have no need to do those markings, because the series rating of the series rated equipment is never specified. Lowest AIC of the panel or combo is the fully rated AIC rating, then you don't have to do those series rating labels at all!

Ron
#80649 05/07/02 07:39 AM
R
Are you sure you are actually using lower rated equipment than the available fault current? (Installing a series-rated system)

#80650 05/07/02 11:19 PM
C
Cindy Offline OP
maybe i've missed the point. anyone have an example of where it would need to be marked?

#80651 05/11/02 08:30 PM
B
I think Ron means that if you use, for example, ALL 22KAIC molded-case breakers, then labeling would not be required.

#80652 05/12/02 10:50 PM
R
Ron Offline
A lot of equipment comes with a labeled AIC rating on it's own (for fully rated), and a documented series rating if used with another particular peice of distribution overcurrent protection device. If you use a panelboard fully rated at 22KA and there is 15KA short circuit available, then no additional marking related to AIC is required, because you are using it within its fullt rated capabilities.
But, if you used that panelboard (fully rated at 22KA) and had a particular fused switch upstream (documented by manufacturer for series listing) the series rated AIC for the combination is 65KA and is acceptable for use on a cirucit up to 65kA (higher than 22kA). In this case, where the short circuit available is higher than the fault rated listing, you would have to label as you indicated, to be sure that no one will replace that particular fuse with a non-compatible fuse and relinquish the series rating of the combination, and thus leave the panelboard undersized relative to the short circuit interrupting capacity.

Ron
#80653 05/20/02 10:38 AM
D
Cindy,

If you would like some additional information, please see my reply to GWZ on this topic and the additional information links for Bussmann information. Hopefully this will help.

Link for reply to GWZ: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000167.html

p.s. we also have a on-line training presetation (Interrupting Rating Review & Series Rating) on this topic. Check it out if you have a high speed internet access, because it is a large file (7.5Meg). See this link for it...http://www.bussmann.com/services/training/

Thanks,
Dan

Link Copied to Clipboard