ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
This is related to a question I read by Frank Cinker ( here ) asking about allowances made for Appliances that are incompatable with GFCI devices in 525.23(B)

My question is; What types of Appliances (Kitchen) would be incompatable with GFCIs and if they are known to exist, why is there no similar exception for them in 210.8(B)?

Maybe this could be some leverage that would help get 210.8(B) modified to allow receptacles dedicated to Refrigeration equipment to be on non-gfci protected circuits.

Comments?

How about a "Collective" proposal here to the 2005 NEC with substantiation pointing to existing allowances in 525.23(B)?

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-04-2002).]

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
OK, here's another one from the 'old bastard' perspective. IIRC, in the mid/late seventies, Hawaii IAEI folks were having a big problem enforcing the new outside GFCI mandate. It had been the long-standing custom there to locate washing machines out on the covered back porch. They found that washers could not go through a cycle without tripping the GFCI, apparently by EMI from the water solenoid. They rightfully took the NEC quite seriously, and were pretty frazzled over it.

P
Bill,

We've had some problems in the U.K. since the 30mA whole-house GFIs started replacing the 100mA types.

The main problem has been with microwave ovens tripping on start-up, especially if there's already a few mA of leakage from other devices.

S
well..... i see a loophole in hardwiring, as in pools..

( well someone had to say it....
[Linked Image]

M
Bill:
Wouldnt they be able to say that only Counter-top receptacles need to be GFCI protection ? Also that 210.8 is for dwelling units.
and 525.23(B) would be considered commercial, I know in our small Town of Warren when they have festivals downtown, the local inspector goes nuts trying to get everyone to comply, although its a 3-day event he has to look at everything, and generally the whole area is a total mess, electrically that is.
-Mark-

Mark,

Yes, it could say that only countertop receptacles need the GFCI protection, but some substantiation for the proposed change is required. Someone already thinks that some refrigeration equip may be incompatible with GFCIs as (apparently) evidenced by the rules of 525.23(B).

Bill

Bill
S
Bill,
Note the commentary after 210.8(B)(3)
( there is none after 525.23(B))
one would think the rationale would be reversed here, given the nature of carny wiring.....

anywho....similar language would seem politically correct for 210.8.....
[Linked Image]

(3) Kitchens

Section 210.8(B)(3) is new for the 2002 Code and requires all 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt receptacles in nondwelling-type kitchens to be GFCI protected. This requirement applies to each and every 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt kitchen receptacle, whether or not the receptacle serves countertop appliances.
Accident data related to electrical incidents in nondwelling kitchens reveal the presence of many hazards, including poorly maintained electrical apparatus, damaged electrical cords, wet floors, and employees without proper electrical safety training. Mandating some limited form of GFCI protection for high-hazard areas such as nondwelling kitchens should help prevent electrical accidents.

525.23(B)
(B) Appliance Receptacles. Receptacles supplying items, such as cooking and refrigeration equipment, that are incompatible with ground-fault circuit-interrupter devices shall not be required to have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection.

F
Bill,

What Nick Sasso posted is probably the only way an Inspector could judge if the appliance was incompatible or not.
http://www.iaeifl.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000014#000005

Reality is another thing.

Frank

I recently attended an outside party where the caterers were having an electrical problem of some sort and I was asked to look into it. Two large coffee urns were instantly tripping the GFCI receptacles outside and in the garage when they were plugged in. I didn't get to examine them, but both appeared quite new and unaltered (?)

Has anyone seen this happen?
They worked fine when brought inside and plugged into a non-gfci'd outlet. My theorizing that something must be wrong with the coffee urns did not go over so well with the catering people.

Bill

Bill
F
I haven't yet. My first big test will be the July 4th Celebration which will be held at one of our large State Parks near the "three rivers" area. There will be many food stands as well as large tents that will require power. I plan to have my men provide GFCI protection for everything to comply with NEC 525.23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard