ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Hate to start this here, IT NOT BEING CODE AND ALL [Linked Image] I always looked at old worn receptacles hanging half way out of the wall and figured the ground was better down because at least the ground was still intact. agreed the others being loose is also dangerous, but the LAST thing I want coming out is the ground, which of course, is the very reason it is longer, first make last break thing.

Reel-break Alright, ya got me man, my grandfathers and father could all do math on their squares like I could a slide rule, I never picked it up, going into the wrong trade (according to them) but.....WHAT'S THE DIAMOND FOR????????????

Sparky, NOTHING ticks me off more than another trade telling me some great BS they heard is code, and NOTHING gets me quoting code faster. If you held your cool, you can be glad I was not there with you [Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
Hmm, that brings to mind a plumber/builder/general handyman a few years ago who tried to tell me that I had to run a "ring earth" around a building to every radiator and back to the panel.

Ground up or down: Just how likely is it that some metallic object falling would be so close to the wall as to hit the hot/neutral prongs of a plug not fully engaged in the receptacle? I can't see this being a problem.

I'll throw in my ignorance with George too, and ask about that diamond symbol. ???

T
I think the diamonds or triangles are for placing five studs in a wall over
an eight foot space rather than four or six studs.

If you divide five into 96 inches, it will give 19.2 inches. In other
words, 4 into 96" = 24", 5 into 96" = 19.2", and 6 into 96" = 24".
I think these are the normal centerings of wall studs.
How far off am I?
Tiff

A
Good guess Tiff, they are commonly used for laying out "silent floor" (aka wood I-beams) which are engineered to work out on a 19.2 center for the 4x8 decking.

P
Aren't normal wall studs and/or joists on U.S. homes on 16" centers?

A
pauluk, 16 OC is the standard but in some areas in the US it is permissible to frame 24" OC. This is common around hear on roofs and ceilling joist in less expensive homes.

George,
Musser and I were brought up by Hixson to put them in ground up, he always gave the "gravity" theory. I, however, have found out that manufacturers design their electric-utilizing wares for ground-down orientation... Stress on 90º and 45º angle appliances cords are my biggest beef... They're designed that way to relieve stress. Night lights and other plug in devices like CO detectors tend to become upside down...

As far as manufacturer's "labelling", residential Leviton recepts have the wording stamped readable ground down, spec grades are readable ground up.

I now put them in ground down for residential, and up for commercial/industrial unless told otherwise by the powers-that-be, or if existing recepts already dictate otherwise.

Your argument is noted for my arsenal!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-03-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
B
This subject has been hashed out for decades. If the U-ground is mounted 'up' on kitchen-counter receptacles, the loose end of a roll of aluminum foil on the counter could more likely contact the hot/neutral pins from contact underneath; if reversed, the U-ground pin could limit that.

Sometimes we are all guilty of being "well frogs." That's living in a well and thinking it's the ocean.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 05-03-2002).]

Just to be sure...

Are there any other codes (CABO, BOCA, other...) that could possibly hint towards a requirement for a certain receptacle orientation? Even on a state on municipal level?

I've personally have been told by a housing inspector (FHA) to turn a ground up receptacle over in a kitchen... no word on the lack of GFCI... (walk-through inspection for a potential homeowner, not my work, just was there for an estimate...)

Any other horror stories out there?

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-04-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
E
Bjarney. I hope you are joking about the aluminum foil.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard