ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Where's the 1/8" gap around the box?

Deborah
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
I think you could look at many repair type installations and find as many violations as you would like. If the box is grounded I dont really see a problem with this. ( Tough to see clearly) Hey Elady are you joking? Forgive me if you are but you are not required to have a 1/8 gap around the box, you may have up to that size gap if not installed in combustible materials.

R
Joe,
I don't think there is any requirement in the NEC to connect the EGC to the switch yoke when there is a metallic box.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
Don:

Probably true, but I will call 110.2 and insist that they be connected to the yoke when it has a green screw.

I believe it's a safe installation that way.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
Joe,
110.2 does not apply to instllation methods, it only applies to the items being installed. While you are correct that it is a little safer if you connect the EGC to the switch yoke. The NEC clearly does not require this when there is a metallic box.
(B) Grounding. Snap switches, including dimmer and similar control switches, shall be effectively grounded and shall provide a means to ground metal faceplates, whether or not a metal faceplate is installed. Snap switches shall be considered effectively grounded if either of the following conditions is met.
(1) The switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for grounding devices.
(2) An equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding jumper is connected to an equipment grounding termination of the snap switch.
The ground screw is provided so that this section can be complied with when the switch is installed in a non metallic box.
Don(resqcapt19)

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 04-29-2002).]

Don(resqcapt19)
Don:

Take a closer look at the link in the first entry above, and then look at the pictures of the switch where the 6/32 screws are still held onto the yoke with the "nonmetallic washer."

This will defeat the first item you mentioned, because there is no true "metal to metal" contact, so this leaves only one left, and that is to use an equipment bonding jumper connected to the swich yoke and to the equipment grounding conductors in and to the box.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 04-29-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
Joe,
There is nothing in 404.9(B) that requires direct metal to metal contact between the yoke and the box. It only requires a metal box and metal mounting screws. There is no intent by CMP 9 to require switches to be grounded like receptacles are. Look at comment 9-62 in the 98ROC

Don(resqcapt19)
D
Don -

For those of us who do have an interest, what is the 98 ROC? and where do interested parties order a copy?

thanx

David

R
Dana,
The ROC is the "Report on Comments" and the ROP is the "Report on Proposals". These documents that are the basis of the code. All proposed changes and the code making panels' (CMP) comments and actions are published in the ROP. The ROP is sent out for public comment to interested parties and the comments and CMP action on these comments are published in the ROC. These document are available from the NFPA. The "98" is for the calendar year in which the document was published. The 98 ROP and 98 ROC are the documents for the '99 code.
Anyone who submits a proposal automatically gets a copy of the ROP and people submitting comments get a copy of the ROC. The deadline for submission of proposed changes for the 2005 code is November 1, 2002.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
C
That website is ridiculous. I can't imagine that anyone would waste good money for that "advice." Did anyone read the part about how he charges $20 for a 15 minute phone call? What happens if you don't get all the help you need after 15 minutes? Does he just hang up on you? Ridiculous!!!

I have some advice for him that's totally free: Buy a new cordless drill and jigsaw, and while your at it, get a new tape measure and screwdrivers!

BTW, if you look in picture 3, you can see what appears to be a ground wire connected to the box via a grounding clip. Sorry to have to open that can of worms. [Linked Image]

Peter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard