ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#80465 04/17/02 09:44 AM
F
frodo Offline OP
hi,
i was interested to know what your interpretation is on article 230.50?

does this mean that you can NOT use a SE Cable without a main at the meterbase unless the cable is protected by a raceway?

does SE Cable need a raceway if the MAIN is located inside the building?

thanks for any replies?

-regards

frodo

[This message has been edited by frodo (edited 04-17-2002).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#80466 04/19/02 08:20 PM
S
230.50 Protection of Open Conductors and Cables Against Damage — Above Ground.
Service-entrance conductors installed above ground shall be protected against physical damage as specified in 230.50(A) or (B).
(A) Service Cables. Service cables, where subject to physical damage, shall be protected by any of the following:
(1) Rigid metal conduit
(2) Intermediate metal conduit
(3) Schedule 80 rigid nonmetallic conduit
(4) Electrical metallic tubing
(5) Other approved means
(B) Other Than Service Cable. Individual open conductors and cables other than service cables shall not be installed within 3.0 m (10 ft) of grade level or where exposed to physical damage.
Exception: Type MI and Type MC cable shall be permitted within 3.0 m (10 ft) of grade level where not exposed to physical damage or where protected in accordance with 300.5(D).

does this mean that you can NOT use a SE Cable without a main at the meterbase unless the cable is protected by a raceway?
frodo.....
I would say this would fall under the 'physical damage' interpetation

does SE Cable need a raceway if the MAIN is located inside the building?
this is pertinent also to damage, and as such may be viewed regardless of the mains location...allthough an OCPD would probably cut some slack in this respect.....

so we are left with hypotheticals...
why not? [Linked Image]

>>>>A simple service, SEU drop to 100a meter, SEU out the bottom of said meter runs down, along a residence at 2-3'from grade, and into the sill 40' away.

all fine & well......

The occupant then constructs a ( pick a problem of your choice) [Linked Image] kennel for hybird attack wolfs along said wall.....

#80467 04/19/02 09:14 PM
E
The kicker here is that everyone seems to differ on the "subject to physical damage" point. I know it varies from town to town here. Generaly I stick with pvc and that works out well.

#80468 04/20/02 10:53 PM
F
frodo Offline OP
hi,
thanks for the replies. i asked the question because my local jurisdiction requested that the sec i installed be in a raceway. i asked the ahj which article it was that required the raceway...not trying to call them on it but to be in the know if it was not allowed, i hadnt heard...initially one of the inspectors had thought it may be 230.50 but he did not say that that was the article he said that he had not looked it up yet..

i had done this before with no problem so i was kinda unaware that it was not allowed here. i was curious as to whether this was something new in 2002.

i finally spoke to the ahj and they said that it was their intent to provide more protection on a SEC since the only protection was at the pole..i usually use pvc myself as well but in this case i wanted to use the sec. it was a old house that had some unconventional framing..

i am planning to install aluminum flex there to provide the raceway. it would be difficult to install pvc now everything is done as far as the rough-in..

i plan to use 3 #2 copper thhn and 1" aluminum flex and a bonding bushing at the meterbase. that should do it...?

the ahj here says they will only allow SEC cable between the meterbase and the loadcenter if their is a main at the meterbase..i agree with this and will use a ocpd at the meter. ..i dont need a main inside then do I? as i understand it...the main shall be located either outside or immediately inside..?

the ahj here says they only allow 10' of use inside the building..i think that is in the code though..

thanks for the info

-regards

frodo

[This message has been edited by frodo (edited 04-21-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard