ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Would you help us resolve a question of derating and maximum number of conductors in a raceway?

Please refer to the 2002 NEC Handbook for the following question:

We are discussing how to properly derate conductors in raceway when the quantity of conductors exceeds 85.

The wiring application in question is for theaters and involves stage, concert and house lighting circuits controlled by solid state dimming racks. Many dimming racks in large theaters have 90 or more dimmer modules resulting in at least 180 current carrying conductors plus ground conductors. Metal wireway is often used to route conductors from the dimmer racks to the fixtures. The wireway is sized for the maximum 20 percent fill required by Article 376. We are applying Article 520.6 that grants exception to the 30 conductor maximum rule in Article 376.

The question of properly derating remains. Note: Load diversity is often 50% or greater.

Table B.310.11 appears to apply. The problem is that this table does not seem to address more than 85 conductors. The FPN following the table refers to "special calculations required" but does not specify further reading or guidelines to perform the calculations.

Jeffrey M. Leavenworth, P.E.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Broom Pusher and
My NEC [1999] is in the Van and it's getting late, but I would like to address this message, so I'll toss some numbers and stuff in this thread later.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
B
Bob Offline
Jeff,
I do not have the 2002 code yet but the
99 code section 318-11 seems to apply to your installation.

Tom Offline
This query has been lying here festering for a couple of days. Seems like no one really wants to get out in the lead (and become a target).

Here goes. If you are applying 520.6, and are otherwise in compliance with that article, no derating of the conductors is required.

The last sentence waives the 30 conductor limitation of 366.6 & 376.22 Both of these require derating when exceeding 30 current carrying conductors. Since the rule is waived, derating is not required.

Do I need to put on my asbestos coveralls?

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 04-15-2002).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard