ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#80389 04/07/02 12:20 PM
U
I've been put in charge of installing new power to a remodeled meeting room in my church's community center basement. The room is about 60 by 30 and has two entrances. I normally do electrical maintenance and installations in a factory and connected office building. My question is whether I need to install my outlets under the rule of keeping them within 6 feet of any wall area.This will require about 9 outlets. I have no problem installing them but don't want to be critisized for overdoing it. Thank's

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
The 6 foot rule only applies to dwelling units and guest rooms in motels. Article 250-50(b) requires receptacles whenever flexible cords with attachment plugs are used, with no minimum number or distance requirements stated. The 6 foot rule is generally used in other occupancies for convienience but is not required. One receptacle will work if you have a long enough cord on a vacuum cleaner! That is assuming that a vacuum is used! I don't think 9 outlets is overdoing it in that size of room. A meeting room may have several loads requiring outlets, ie coffee pots, TVs, projectors, etc. Better to have too many outlets than not enough.

BTW, we have a large Amish community in our area and they don't use electricity. No electricity, no NEC.

sparks55

N
If you are referring to the rule of having a receptacles every 12' (within 6' of any point) along the wall line, that only applies to dwelling units.

Link Copied to Clipboard