ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dugmaze Offline OP
I was given a job last year to wire up an exhaust motor in a makeshift storage area. They stored 55 gallon drums of "trike" and other flammable liquids that I can't remember off hand. The motor was not explosion proof as was nothing in this room. They wanted me to tap into the lighting circuit and run a circuit to the motor(all wiring inside the room). When I told my boss that it the room had to be rerwired to meet code, he said that industrial companies do not have to meet code standards.
So, I told him to have safety clear it and of course our safety department(a joke) said everything was ok.
When I asked one simple question, I knew I was right, I asked:
"Why do we need an exhuast fan?"
they answered:
"Because of the fumes"
My company has a long practice of this kind of work practices. The problem is you can only deny to do your job to a point before you jeopardize your job or relations with your company.

What grounds and backing do I have to stand on?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
EVERYONE HAS TO FOLLOW NEC CODE. What ground do you have to stand on? Pick up a copy of the NEC code and present it to your supervisors.

G
Dugmaze,
I hate to be the bearor of bad news, but your state code council (such as in VA it would be the Department of Commerce), Fire Marshal, or for a step up OSHA. I don't know what 'trike' is but would like to see an MSDS which would give the hazard index of the material. Unfortunately, they usually require a witness which means you have to reveal yourself. Usually you can do an equal amount of good by educating yourself to hazards and making a nuisance of yourself to incur change within the organization, otherwise, you're just the guy we fired and the policies go on, and sometimes worse. You can make yourself valuable one way, or a martyr the other. Norma Jean or Erinn Brockovich change ONE thing, and then move on. Keep your head.

But do call those people and ask their advice.

[This message has been edited by George Corron (edited 02-17-2002).]

S
DUGMAZE..
some documentation as to your actions ( I.E. put yer A** on the line Boss) would somewhat shield you here...

Similarly, as a contractor i've lost jobs when backed into a corner by asking for the customers written approval of a cut & dry NEC violation
a polite & politically correct 4U...
[Linked Image]

B
[This message has been edited by beach (edited 03-01-2002).]

E
"Trike" probably refers to trichloroethylene (or trichloroethane). This is a general purpose degreaser (flux remover, dry cleaning solution, you-name-it) that I think has been pretty much phased out where possible. Works good though, and with a fraction of the quantity required to do the job with an "envrionmentally friendly" solution (hidden environmental cost I guess).

S
yeah ...'Trike'....electech.
Used in machine shops as a degreaser. Sometimes in vats that have a refrigerant coil on the high side to help keep the fumes from traveling....

D
dugmaze Offline OP
Do you know they had us cleaning breakers with trichloroethane and when it started burning my legs I asked for a MSDS. When I found out that it causes cancer, they said that everybody knows it causes cancer. Well I didn't!

N
TCE is a toxic chemical, and a carcinogen. But as far as the need for explosion-proof wiring goes, the stuff isn't flammable.

M
Dugmaze
You are in a bad situation. Its especially bad when the company wont listen to you and insist that you do the job regardless of right and wrong or at whose expense it might be. If you call the authorities ie Osha your job is in jeapardy, if you dont and there is an explosion guess who they will blame ? It already sounds like a hazardous location, and they probably want you to wire it with romex.
This is sorta like that football commercial you make the call, and thats what this comes down to, and I think you already know the answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard