ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 275 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#79923 02/06/02 07:11 PM
E
Just read through all the posts re arc faults. I need a little clarification on the intended requirements. Service upgrade existing house... Install arc faults for bed circuits? I am in MA if that has any effect on the answer. Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79924 02/06/02 10:55 PM
T
What NEC is in effect?
For 1999 dwelling unit bedroom recptacle outlets
For 2002 all outlets in a dwelling unit bedroom.

#79925 02/07/02 08:00 AM
S
Electricmanscott,
A)There are some poco's and AHJ's that are interperting this code to apply to upgrades, as in my area....
1) an upgrade i have next week will incorporate 12 AFCI's @ $40( my cost) ea.
2) Multiwire circuits are a problem...****
B)There are others who claim it the NEC is not retroactive.
C)There are many that would claim it's "A good idea"

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(A) Definition. An arc-fault circuit interrupter is a device intended to provide protection from the effects of arc faults by recognizing characteristics unique to arcing and by functioning to de-energize the circuit when an arc fault is detected.
(B) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All branch circuits that supply 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter listed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit.

commentary
The definition of arc-fault circuit interrupter given in 210.12(A) explains its function. The basic objective is to de-energize the branch circuit when an arc-fault is detected.
Arc-fault circuit interrupters are evaluated to UL 1699, Safety Standard for Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter, using testing methods that create or simulate arcing conditions to determine the product's ability to detect and interrupt arcing faults. These devices are also tested to verify that arc detection is not unduly inhibited by the presence of loads and circuit characteristics that may mask the hazardous arcing condition. In addition, these devices are evaluated to determine resistance to unwanted tripping due to the presence of arcing that occurs in control and utilization equipment under normal operating conditions or to a loading condition that closely mimics an arcing fault, such as a solid-state electronic ballast or a dimmed load.
UL 1699 is the standard covering arc-fault devices that have a maximum rating of 20 amperes intended for use in 120-volt ac, 60 Hz circuits. These devices may also include the capability to perform other functions such as overcurrent protection, ground-fault circuit-interruption, and surge suppression. UL 1699 currently recognizes five types of arc-fault circuit interrupters: the branch/feeder AFCI, combination AFCI, cord AFCI, outlet AFCI, and portable AFCI. Placement of the device in the circuit and a review of the UL guide information must be considered when complying with 210.12. The NEC is clear that the objective is to provide protection of the entire branch circuit. (See Article 100 for the definition of branch circuit.) For instance, a cord AFCI could not be used to comply with the requirement of 210.12 to protect the entire branch circuit.
Section 210.12 requires that AFCI protection be provided on branch circuits that supply outlets (receptacle, lighting, etc.) in dwelling unit bedrooms. The requirement is limited to 15- and 20-ampere 125-volt circuits. There is no prohibition against providing AFCI protection on other circuits or in locations other than bedrooms.**** Because circuits are often shared between a bedroom and other areas such as closets and hallways, providing AFCI protection on the complete circuit would comply with 210.12.

#79926 02/07/02 08:18 AM
E
Thanks for replies guys. I read all the info in the handbook and it realy does not give a clear answer. If seems as if the ahj is making their own interpretation on this one as the code does not specify. If this is the case why not require gfci breakers for kitchens and baths without protection, when upgrading service. While I like the idea of the technology I dont agree with the vagueness of the code. I feel they really left this wide open for everyone involved. I will try to contact someone I know from a cmp and get his thoughts on what the intention of the requirements were when written.
Oh great no more spellcheck [Linked Image]

#79927 02/07/02 09:41 AM
EMan,

Sorry about the Spellcheck, [Linked Image]
Please let us know if you should glean anymore info on this subject.

Bill

Bill
#79928 02/08/02 04:38 PM
E
Just heard back from my secret code source [Linked Image] He informs me that you must indeed install arc fault breakers on bedroom circuits when upgrading a service. Again this is in MA so it may or may not apply everywhere. Also with some further research I have found that only Cutler Hammer makes a two pole arc fault breaker so beware the multi wire barnch circuits!

#79929 02/08/02 04:59 PM
EMan,

I wonder if that is going to be a common interpretation. On Long Island (Suffolk County) it is being interpreted as being required in New Construction only. Additionally, they have already decided that the Smoke Detectors in Bedrooms are a Life-Safety issue and will leave AFCI protection on these at the option of the Electrician or Consumer. BTW, NY, as a State is still oficially on the 1996 NEC.

Bill

Bill
#79930 02/08/02 05:00 PM
S
A 2 pole for 220V loads would not be required per 210.12. However a 220/120v load , i.e.-multiwire circuit would require to be protected via what I understand is an AFIT ( type of AFCI) , made for multiwire circuits and a dif animal than a straight 220V 2-pole AFCI.

This is what i've been looking for, especially in a larger ampacity, 40-60A .
So far I have had no luck finding one. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 02-08-2002).]

#79931 02/08/02 05:10 PM
S
Bad link, oops!

Try This click on "UL on line certification directory", >>>keyword search>>>>afci...

#79932 02/08/02 07:54 PM
R
Massachusetts has an amendment that requires Arc Fault CBs when doing service upgrades. There is a slight wording change and FPN note added to 210.12 (B) and an added letter (C) “OVERCURRENT DEVICE REPLACEMENTS” “Where panel boards are replaced that contain one or more circuits requiring AFCI protection by this or other sections of the Code, AFCI protection shall be provided for such circuits”.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard