ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I received the following question(s) today, which I assume to be a serious inquiry. It sounds like the conditions may not be under the control of the author. What advice can you give?
hello i would like to know the code for resid. i live in a home that half the electric works and half dont also have live 220 line sticking out of the inner wall in the house it is not hooked up to anything or capped but is live also outside breaker box has melted breakers in it is this against code and if so what statue.

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I think this is a case of hire an electrician FAST

T
I would inform the authority having jurisdiction.

B
The first thing I would suggest, as a homeowner, is to take a few photos of the items you've described - digital is ok, polaroid is good for immediate results and follow with a regular camera so there's a set of paper copies, too. Do it safely and by all means, keep yourself, your children and your pets away from the problem areas. I would also be interested in whether this is a home you own or are renting. If renting, the landlord may need to or be required to bear some of the cost of repairs. If public housing, yet another layer of responsibility lies with the housing authority. You will find the photos will serve you well in documenting existing conditions.

Second, call a local inspector - asap. Have the inspector give you the information on what the code is and the violations or potential problems.

Third, have your utility company inspect and correct any problems that are within their area of responsibility (outside/entering the property and/or connecting to the service panel).

Finally, get a reputable electrician to come correct any remaining problems. Show him the photos, have him look at the inspector's report and make sure you have an assurance or guarantee of safe conditions before he leaves.

It may cost you some out of pocket expense, which not everyone has extra money for, but the cost of NOT doing something about it might be the loss of a life or an injury. If you need financial assistance, contact the utility company or a local church, but please don't let 'live' electricity go unchecked in your home.

B
<whisper>I guess my reply must've been okay since no one shot it down...</whisper>

??

Yes, I agree it is good advice, but I would recommend that anyone with these types of problems call the local Fire Department immediately and ask a firerfighter to come and take a look before they have to come when the fire starts!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-06-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
J
The only authority figure that can resolve the problem quickly is the local Fire Marshal. You can try electrical, building and plumbing inspectors and they can write all kinds of violations but they must be enforced. In a situation with rental property, what authority does an inspector have in a rental apartment or building where the tennant is complaining about conditions? What can the inspector or the tennant do with this piece of paper full of violations but take the land lord to court, possibly; a time consuming and expensive task. The fire marshal can enter a building where others can not due to trespass laws. He is the one person responsible for the safety of individuals and can exercise authority in a short period of time which is what this individual needs.

S
Isn't there a short NFPA 73 or 74 that addresses this??
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard