ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79837 01/30/02 09:43 PM
I
I have been told that it is a code violation to have an interior breaker panel located more than 3 feet from the exterior meter main even if it is connected to the meter main by a 4 conductor sheathed cable rated at the ampacity of the service main. This propsed cable would enter the house and run through the rafter area and down to the circut panel a distance of 18' ... can anyone give me insight on this issue ???? thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
I don't see that you have a problem. If indeed you have a "meter main", then that is your service, and the rest is a sub-panel..fed by the 2 hots, a neutral,and a ground.
If you are just going from a meter, then several feet to your service..that's where you run into difficulty..depending upon local rules, usually.

R
Ditto, elzappr.
Once you leave your service main, it becomes a feeder and you can run as far as you like with it. Without an external main, I would check with local AHJ for anything that exceeds 3 ft.

I
Thanks for your Rapid Replys .... its is a meter/main ... square D unit with a meter socket and a 200 amp breaker with 6 slots within the same enclosure .. this would be mounted out side the building and connected to an underground service form the power company ... from the load side of the 200 amp main c/p I am running a 200 amp al service cable which has 2 line 1 neutural and 1 bare ground wires all cased in a plastic sheath ... this would exit the meter main enclosure from the rear through the exterior wall of the house up to the overhead attic space across and down to the square d 200 amp 30 circuit panel ... the exterior box is grounded with a ground rod and #4 copper the interior panel is bonded to the bare ground lead of the service cable and neutural .... I dont see any problem with this arrangement ... i will be calling for a REVIEW with the local inspector and wanted to have my facts ... i can find nothing in the nec 2002 codes that would violate this arrangement .... more input is welcomed .... thanks

N
Before you ask for that review, check for any local (city or county) and/or state admendments to the NEC. Some cities here have length restrictions on services, and some have a conduit requirement for services and feeders.

ed
Here, it used to be 25 ft. (WV Power), now it has to be back to back or a disco is required. (Allegheny Power).

My longest distance between disco and panel is about 400 ft. It was at the house with the solar panels/inverter setup. [Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
E
Just to make sure.. You haven't connected the ground and neutral together at the sub-panel did you. I wondered, when you stated that the sub-panel was "bonded to the bare ground lead of the service cable and the neutral."

S
Would this apply?

110.10 Circuit Impedance and Other Characteristics.
The overcurrent protective devices, the total impedance, the component short-circuit current ratings, and other characteristics of the circuit to be protected shall be selected and coordinated to permit the circuit-protective devices used to clear a fault to do so without extensive damage to the electrical components of the circuit. This fault shall be assumed to be either between two or more of the circuit conductors or between any circuit conductor and the grounding conductor or enclosing metal raceway. Listed products applied in accordance with their listing shall be considered to meet the requirements of this section.

With a meter/main breaker combo and the conductor protected at its ampacity you can run to Timbuktu. An unprotected conductor can't. It's a feeder after the main, not a service conductor.
Virgil, don't you mean without a main c/b located @ the service?

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-31-2002).]

Yeah, back to back no Disconnect (w/ Main CB), not back to back, must have disco (W/ main CB)...

Did I clear my muddling up a little?

<in jest>(Listen to what I mean, not what I say...)</in jest>

[Linked Image]

The 400 ft run had a Main CB/ Disco adjacent to the meterbase, so technically, it was a "feeder" and not a "service".

Still a long run.

My longest run was 600 ft. of 1/0 Cu for a 240V 30A feed for a cell tower repeater.
That pull was a nightmare... I had used 2" PVC instead of 3" and will never do that again.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 01-31-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard