ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#79785 01/26/02 12:51 PM
G
What a terrible time to be asked for a code reference. My books are mostly at my desk at work, and I'm sitting here with a broken leg. Bill, I'll try to locate this reference through some friends or on the net,but it's gonna be at least 2 more weeks before I am allowed back at work.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79786 01/26/02 12:56 PM
George,

Take care of that leg. You weren't standing 'on, or above the step' again were you? [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#79787 01/26/02 01:31 PM
G
Bill,
Good one, long story short, in early Dec. my leg started hurting, more than usual considering my arthritis. I went to a doctor who WROTE ME A LETTER saying it was NOT broken. I keep hobbling on it figuring I've damaged a ligament again. Couldn't stand the pain anymore, went to an ortopaedic surgeon on Monday who said it oughta hurt, there's a 1/2" separation on the bone. [Linked Image]

He dared me to walk on it for 3 weeks, when he will assess if I need a steel rod. But yes, I was up and down ladders during the time.....probably should NOT have been doing that, huh? [Linked Image]

#79788 01/26/02 08:35 PM
G
Bill,
I 'splained that I don't have my BOCA's here, but the 2000 International Residential Code AJ401.1 says renovation work will meet the code. I think that says if it is renovated, it will be brought up to date. They have some exceptions, but my shot is they don't apply when you start the renovation.
Page 552.

#79789 01/27/02 11:45 PM
George,

Ouch! (That sounds painful!)

I haven't gotten to see the code yet, but on the paper where the sections are written down for me there is a note under one of them.
Note: not visible & not subject to increased loads shall be permitted to remain. Where subject to increased loads shall conform with Sub Chapter ...
Bill

Bill
#79790 01/28/02 12:14 AM
G
Bill,
You realize I'm shooting in the dark here. I do NO residential work, and literally all my commercial is "rip out all existing and start over". That is the way it has been enforced in this area though, if you open it, it is visible, and does not meet the currently enforced code, it will before you close it up again, including boxes, wiring method, etc..

I have seen the ruling on aluminum branch wiring years ago, I know you can't buy al romex, but Hey, before it comes up in my life, where does it say it is outlawed?

#79791 01/28/02 12:27 AM
George,

I'll try and get the language this week. i may have to go to the Library to get it. It is illegal in our areas to install aluminum branch circuit wiring and even service and feeder cables in many areas near me.

Bill
#79792 01/28/02 12:37 AM
G
Bill,
Mixed feelings here. Aluminum, IF PROPERLY PREPARED, and maintained, is not dangerous. I realize that Al should be completely, totally, and irrevocably banned from 15 and 20 amp branch circuits.

No one that wires houses can afford to take the time to brush, penetrox, torque, receptacles and switches, and they won't. Then the homeowner surely does not want the expense of checking and retorquing occasionally, fires happened because of sloppy workmanship, and no maintenance. But I can't think of many instances where Al in service cable has caused many troubles.

On the other hand, I used copper on all when I was in business, in my own house, or anything else (aside from temporary services) so you can see my level of trust. I have used aluminum in lots of places though, and don't recall any major problems.

Hey Don, you're good with the fire stats, what say you? [Linked Image]

#79793 01/28/02 09:18 AM
R
George,
I agree that the original aluminum branch circuit wiring was a serious problem, but in about 1973 a new alloy was put on the market along with the CO/ALR rated devices. These materials did not have the problems like the older stuff did. I worked on two apartment complexes at that time, one with copper and the other with aluminum. We continued to do the service on these units for about 20 years. There were no more problems on the aluminum than on the copper project.

Bill,
I have heard of many areas banning small aluminum branch circuits and I don't think any #10 or 12 aluminum is on the market, but I haven't heard of aluminum feeders being banned. The utility here uses only aluminum for everything except the grounding electrode conductor. A few contractors use aluminum for the service entrance and larger feeders in commercial installations, but most use all copper.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#79794 01/28/02 10:01 AM
Don,

I don't know about the rest of my state (NY) but here in some towns and townships of Suffolk County there is a ban on Aluminum wiring. Some areas it seems that Al underground service feeders are ok and others it is not. In these areas we must put Adapters on the (even utility owned!) wires if we change the meterpan. We cannot use Al SEU cable for services for many years.

The Utility still continues to use Al as they have in the past.

Bill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard