ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
Recently I was asked if multi-outlet surge protector extension cords are legal as a permanent power source. My initial reaction was no since they are still an extension cord, but I can't find the section in the 1997 NEC that applies. Section 240-4 doesn't address this product.

Thanks for all your help!!!

LISA WHITAKER
CITY OF FORT SCOTT, KS
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Here's a start. 210-50(b) says that a receptacle outlet shall be installed wherever flexible cords with attachment plugs are used. I looked under 400 (Flexible cords and cables) and noted 400-7(b) which requires cord and plug appliances and equipment to be energized from a receptacle outlet. Looking under "receptacle outlet" and "receptacle" in definitions of Art 100 we see that they are talking about receptacles on a yoke..which pretty much rules out your power strips.
There is some language in 410-56(g),that actually pertains to the context of fixture wiring but might be repeated somewhere else in the Code, that: "No receptacle shall be installed so as to require an energized attachment plug as its source of supply."

whitaker,

Take a look on the back of the strip. chances are that is says the word 'Temporary' somewhere, which would probably also be a condition of it's UL listing.

Bill

Bill
W
Whit
Where did you get that 1997 NEC anyway? I don't think we got that one down here.

These things are used extensively around here. The Fire Depts here don't seem to consider them an extension cord, as they don't write them up in their inspections.
As a "temporary", does that mean they must be unplugged and plugged back in once every 90 days? [Linked Image]

The one I have in front of me says on the back "Temporary Power Tap" and the UL sticker says; "Listed Relocatable Power Tap"

I do unplug it ocassionally during storms or vacations, but no, not every 90 days [Linked Image]
(don't send Joe's 'Enforcer Guy' after me!) [Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-11-2002).]

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard