ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79592 01/08/02 07:59 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
I'm having a bit of trouble with residential sewer pump installs lately, so i'd like some views from the board.

Excavators commonly buy/install the whole system. I'm usually throw a bag of parts, good luck, make it work.

My problem is, the means of disconnect. I advocate a pedestal for a motor rated switch ( most are 1/2 to 1/2 HP ) made via FS box.

The usual speel is to install said box within the sewers opening ( man hole) . The units I see sold are a cord cap plug-in variety, the ball controls, also cord cap, are stacked to the pump. None of this lives long in the enviorment mentioned,nor is there a encapulating cover deep enough. thus the pedestal & hardwiring. What is the rest of the world doing for this? your $.02 appreciated
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79593 01/08/02 09:34 AM
Sparky,

I've never done anything other than provide a dedicated single outlet for them.

Bill

Bill
#79594 01/08/02 06:18 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Bill,
have you found a closable cover deep enough? The difficulty i've had being the pump cord cap 'stacked' over the pump balls switched male cord cap.
I also find the atmosphere corrosive
(can U tell working in a serews not my 1st choice...?)
[Linked Image]

#79595 01/10/02 10:39 PM
C
The few septic pumps that I have worked have a weather tight enclosure that is to be mounted outside the septic pump tank,that contain the controls/disco for the pump and the interface hook up for the float switches(pump on,pump off& high level alarm).Also mounted on the top of this enclosure is a red flashing light that is triggered by the alarm float switch.

Chris

#79596 01/11/02 12:01 AM
Sparky,

Why do you need a closeable cover?
What is the corrosive atmosphere?

You've got me confused with this one. I see these things all the time in finished basements and have never seen one that was not sealed or couldn't be just plugged in.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing?
I've heard them called 'Ejection Pumps' here.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-10-2002).]

Bill
#79597 01/11/02 07:04 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
Bill,
perhaps i've painted a poor pix, my bad...

The majority of residential sewer pumps i see are external from the house, bettween the house and mound system.

They are round concrete w/ a cover. The pump & pump balls, as well as the alarm ball, is tiewraped to a 2" pvc riser down 'in the hole'.

The S cords from the above are usually terminated in a box just inside the top cover, on the inside of the tank. I've seen quite the few aluminum w/p boxes rotted to next to nothing , so i'm assuming methane is corrosive.

The motor needs a disco, and the disco can be the male cord cap small motor, so as the enviroment would require an encapsulating cover. Because the cord caps are 'stackable', in that the high/low balls are a cord cap 'switch' that the motor cord cap plugs into, the average cover will not close, not enough depth.

The overfill alarm is mounted in the cellar usually.... [Linked Image]

Admittedly, the location, being somewhat unpalatable to diagnosing has also driven me to advocate the pedastal. (gotta almost stand on yer head in a sewwwy hole, drop a tool & say bye bye...)

I have lately mounted an FS box on a pedestal, with a switch instead, usually this is something i try and hide on the vent riser. I've caught some grief from homeowners to this end, and have only been backed up once in a rare occasion
by an inspector ( gotta sent him a bottle next X-mas...) [Linked Image]

The larger municipal systems i've worked on all are as Chris desribes,pedestals are the norm. Motor Diagnosis is done comfortably...It must be mentioned that OSHA confined space article is enforced (amazingly, given the 'tude here in the great white North..), a tripod and harness is used for the dude who draws the short straw, two spotters & an air exchanger are present. (all involved then buy said dude who retrives the bad motor his coffee the rest of the week...)

The methods/codes should apply universally, yes?no?
[Linked Image]

#79598 01/11/02 10:03 AM
Sparky,

OK, definitely not the same thing!

I've never seen anything like that (and don't think I want to!) [Linked Image]

Consider my .02 withdrawn!

Bill

Bill
#79599 01/12/02 07:50 PM
C
Sparky,
Been thinking about your problem.I did do a system similar to what you described except the stackable plug with float and alarm were outside the pump tank.
If I had to put the disco inside the stinky tank I would use a plastic 60 amp disco no fuses,and tapcon it to the wall.Cut off the stackable plugs and wire nut the float switches and pump inside the disco box.
Whatcha think?
Chris

#79600 01/12/02 08:02 PM
C
Also,in looking at your reply at the procedure as to how you replace the motor,I think I would have your customer call a pump truck for about $150.00 and pump out all the stinky fluid before sending a person into the abyss.
Chris

#79601 01/13/02 08:56 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
Whatcha think?

well i've had to do similar installs simply because the sewer system had been done , one pipe into it, and buried long before i arrived. You bring up a code related concern with the OCPD's....
I think I would have your customer call a pump truck for about $150.00
ah!, the honeysukers! The point should be presented, or Hep-B shots sought [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard