ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Don:

Very Good Question! They don't say that they, the cables, are in raceways ..... but they could be in raceways ... don't you think so?

Here is the old discussion from over on the Old IAEI Board that was a subject we discussed last year:

http://www.iaei.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000076.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-05-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
I agree. Remove them. Too many times I've gotten into ceilings and found old telecom, intercom and computer wiring laying everywhere, it's like working in a blackberry patch with all the snags. Also agree with removing wire in raceway but I can als see that it could be used later. A nice touch is to leave one wire marked spare on each end.

[This message has been edited by spkjpr (edited 01-05-2002).]

spkjpr:

There are some good examples below that help to identify the subject of this thread. We can see where the cables are abandonded and are left hanging. If the electrical raceways were unused with wires inside of them, would it be difficult for anyone to just put on a simple cover, and maybe mark it for the next qualified electrician!

Bless that person, I always said when I worked up in an attic where I found a message on the cover, or inside on the cover with some direction.

However, we all know though we should never rely on a note and must always check the curcuit for voltage that may be present.

[Linked Image]

More support for a rule we need in the Code!

[Linked Image from themeterguy.com]

S
Joe, these appear all conduit examples

Sparky:

Yes, all are, except the cord on the ground.

What's your point?

Broom Pusher and
Joe's first pic kind of makes me hungry for Spaghetti! [Linked Image]

Would the CMP consider pasting a picture like that one within Article 110-12? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Something along the lines of a circle with the line through it, or maybe the logic symbol for "Not" [a "Q" with a line above it] could be integrated with said image to "Convey The Intent Of The Article"

Got to run, the guys with the canvas backfitting suit are coming for me [Linked Image]

Sorry about that, just needed to make some jokes!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
R
Joe,
The reason for my question about removal from raceways was because of the use of the word "accessible" in the Chapter 7 and 8 abandonded removal sections. Wires and cables in raceways are "accessible" if you use the Article 100 definition.
It appears that you have softened a bit on this issue. I think in the past when we debated this, you wanted removal of all abandonded wires and cables. I see in the first post of this thread that you would let them stay if they are covered. I would agree with a requirement for abandonded conductors worded like that post.

Don(resqcapt19)
S
What's your point?

Joe, Don makes my point

OK, now let's all come together and write a rule that can be submitted as a proposal for the 2005 NEC.

As you can see above in the proposal, there already is something that covers the situation we are discussing here. If you look here http://www.iaei.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000076.html there are quite a few comments that also support the same situation where they show how other areas around the country have a rule that is applied to abandoned equipment.

I nominate Sparky as the Chairman and Don as the ECN Committee Secretary for Code Revisions.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard