ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#79440 12/21/01 09:26 PM
A
ayrton Offline OP
I have taken the exam for the Phila Electrical License exam twice and failed. I know that I am not alone. It is a four hr test on the NEC, calculations and some fire codes. I am horrible at exams, always have been. I need some advice! When I did my apprenticeship I had two semesters of code.
Not enough for this exam. Are their any courses in the Phila area or good videos maybe somebody could recommend ?
Thanks ahead of time for any input!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79441 12/24/01 02:03 AM
S
Ayrton, I cannot answer your question, but I am interested to take it myself.My question is: What are requirements for taking it?

#79442 12/24/01 08:28 AM
A
ayrton Offline OP
Have to go down to city hall and apply, for starters. Than the person in charge in the electrical dept., decides whether you are 'worthy' enough to take the exam. You need to show proof of experience, schooling etc.

#79443 12/24/01 03:42 PM
S
Thanks ayrton. I have few more questions. What kind of proof of experiance do they require? Also what are the benefits of having this licence? Does it let you open your own business?

#79444 12/24/01 06:30 PM
A
ayrton Offline OP
The only way you can legally do work in the city of Phila., is to be licensed. Can't pull a permit w/out it. Phila is a strong union town so you have to be very careful if you do work w/out permits. Plus the city has been cracking down on alot of the 'bogus' things that go on! Inspectors are tougher and the city can be a pain. As far as experience, I dont think they will let you take the exam if you have less than 5 yrs experience, but I could be mistaken. I cannot remember everything they asked me. I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by ayrton (edited 12-24-2001).]

#79445 12/24/01 11:30 PM
S
A lot of times cities have a class that they recommend or offer when they test. Ask the inspector. If it's an NEC test, look up Tom Henry's courses. They were geared for the Florida test, so I don't know how helpful it will be Philly but he has books with old test questions and answers. Check the books out. If they seem similar to the test questions, check out where he has his classes. I know he located around the country.

I would never have passed the Florida test without the class. Not only do you learn what you need to know to pass the test, you learn things that will assist you throughout your career. Well worth it.

#79446 12/25/01 12:02 AM
F
I fully endorse the Tom Henry prep materials. Our jurisdiction uses the Block & Associates Exam. I Ordered the Tom Henry Master Electrician Exam prep package and studied it faithfully every night for 3 months before sitting for the test. I passed with an 85 the first time. I couldn't have come close without the prep materials. It is a tough test and out of 45 who sat for it here before me I was the first to pass it. After 3 years I'm still the only one to pass it on the first attempt. It's all because of the prep materials and taking the time to really use them to the best of your ability. I had a 96 going in to the calculations section of the test. That really brought my score down. I have since devoted extra time to calculations and becoming more proficient in that area. I over-estimated my comprehension in that area.

#79447 12/25/01 01:24 AM
S

#79448 12/25/01 11:54 AM
F
aryton,

Steve T. and Fred gave you excellent information. I'm from Pennsylvania. December 19, 1988 I took my Master Electricians Examination. It was similar to what you described. Extremely difficult. If I didn't prepare for months I wouldn't of had a chance of passing it. I purchased study material. Get to know certain code tables real well. ie. conduit fill, calculating service size etc. Do the sample calculations over and over again until you feel comfortable.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Preparation is the key.

Link Copied to Clipboard