ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#79343 12/26/01 06:50 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
1981 would be the 15th edition of the "regs." We're now on the 16th edition, but off the top of my head I can't think of any major changes that would affect this particular issue.

Although new washers now always come ready fitted with cord and a standard 13A plug, it's quite permissible to cut off the plug and hard-wire it. The wall outlet would normally have a double-pole switch so that the unit can be isolated easily.

As the regs. prohibit the installation of any "socket outlet" (i.e. receptacle) in a bathroom, except xfmr-isolated shaver types, a washer would have to be hard-wired. And although domestic dryers over 3kW are rare, the 4kW types have to be hard-wired even when fitted in a kitchen or utility room, as the loading exceeds 13A.

I think the space factor is probably the most restricting thing: Even without electrical considerations, most bathrooms here are just too small to fit a washer in. There's possibly a cultural thing as well -- "We've never done it that way before" kind of thing.

By the way, whatever the IEE would have you believe, it isn't actually mandatory to follow the regs. on domestic wiring. They're generally accepted and followed as good practice, but there's no legal obligation. Commercial is a different matter, as is Scotland.

Which part(s) of the U.K. did you visit? Quite a bit different to the States, isn't it?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79344 12/27/01 01:52 AM
E
I'll say it is different! We visited the southern half..'tho we did make it up to York. I tried to get a handle on how you all wired your residential buildings..looking over things at each B&B, but it made no sense 'til I stopped in at a hardware store and the clerk gave me a quick overview of how things are wired. I topped it off by buying some books at a used book store in London and visiting a chain store in Oxford that dealt with building supplies. I couldn't get over the tiny outlet boxes with the terminal strips for connecting the wires..not much room to spare. How can you possibly do any changes to the wiring?
As for cutting off the plug and hard wiring the appliances, I think that it would present a bit of a problem for the home owner to get behind the dryer to check on any accumulation of lint..fire hazard you know. There would also be an increased chance of abusing the hardwiring. We have to make things idiot-proof here! Is idiocy just a Yankee trait? [Linked Image]

#79345 12/27/01 12:21 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Yep, the congested boxes is one thing I find annoying, because so many installers use the shallowest box they can get away with. Ham-fisted DIYers often jam wires into the device and then practically hammer it back to the wall to tighten the fixing screws. The result is a lot of mangled and chewed wires, and ground faults if it's a metal box.

When fixed appliances are hard-wired it's usual to leave just enough slack to allow for movement and cleaning. Electric ranges are always hard-wired, for example, so there needs to be enough spare cable to allow the free-standing types to be moved away from the wall.

I can assure you that we have our fair share of electrical idiocy here as well! I've seen some awful lash-ups and bodges.

You're one up on me because I've never been to the city of York! The National Railway Museum there is supposed to be very interesting.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard