ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#79240 12/11/01 05:54 PM
T
pauluk Wrote:
"Tom,

I hadn't thought about the insurance angle, but I certainly see your point. Was the fire in the case you mentioned directly attributed to the owner's unauthorize wiring?

Knowing the way insurance companies operate, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tried to use a non-permit light fixture as a excuse not to pay, even if the fire were found to have started at the other end of the house by a faulty gas appliance."

Pauluk
The utmost good faith thing is two way. There are severe penalties for insurance companies that refuse lawful claims. The cause of the loss must be the electrical work in order for that to be the basis of the refusal of a claim. That having been said insurance companies are in business to serve their members if they are mutual insurers or to make a profit if they are stock companies. So if you spoon feed them a reason to refuse your claim do not be surprised if they take it.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79241 12/13/01 04:59 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I agree that the "utmost good faith" angle has to extend both ways, it's just that in my experience (and that of many others, at least here Britain) the insurance companies have little to no idea of the concept of good faith.

Sorry if I seem a little harsh, but having had a recent dispute which was never properly resolved (aided by lawyers who gave misinformation and a so-called "justice" system that's only interested in extracting money), I'm not feeling especially charitable toward them!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-13-2001).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard