ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7916 02/28/02 08:08 PM
I've recently heard of a discussion that went on at a local meeting about there not being any laws or rules against a Builder wiring "his own" House(s) without a License.

This doesn't sound good.
What do you think?

Bill

Bill
#7917 02/28/02 08:40 PM
G
In many places a renter or owner can perform electric work without a license (a permit is required).

In those locations the builder could do the work on property he owns. A twist in the problem comes about if the property is owned by the builder's business.

I like the general idea because it allows one to start a small business.

#7918 02/28/02 09:45 PM
S
One & Two Family's here need no License

#7919 02/28/02 09:59 PM
R
I beleive this was done by a licensed electrician. So having a license does not make one a good electrician. It makes more sense to me to allow anyone to do electrical work, but require complete inspections. With real inspections people doing poor electrical work would not be able to stay in business long.

Some form of completion insurance would probably be needed to protect consumers. From the poor electricians that go out of business quickly.

#7920 02/28/02 11:14 PM
Sparky,

It is no surprise to me that your state has agressively embraced AFCI protection.

Rbiro,

We don't really have to have the "License doesn't prove anything" argument again here. An Inspector cannot possibly see or know everything about an installation. I would like to hear some Inspector opinions on this.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-28-2002).]

Bill
#7921 03/01/02 12:07 AM
R
Sorry, I didn't mean to bring up old fights and I definitely did not mean to imply that licenses are worthless. They just don't make someone care about their work.

I would also like to hear from some inspectors. I suspect that it's possible but just not economical to inspect everything as much as I would like.

#7922 03/01/02 12:35 AM
H
First I'd like to "Hi" to all of you I have been lurking, reading, laughing, shaking my head and nodding ( for about 8 mos) . and my hats off to you all a job well done here!
I am an AHJ in a large city in mass,we have 4 full time AHJ's

Bill

As for the non-electrician permit's , we do allow it BUT , ( you knew that was comming I know )
1. It MUST be a single family home only .
( NO Condo's)
2. you MUST be the owner
3. you MUST live there
4. you must pull a permit and have all your inspections

any other kind of dewlling requires a lic electrician to do the work

Now this does have it's down falls , for one most times they don't pass the 1st inspection if it requires too many they have to pay additional fee's , but alot of times , they do this because they have a friend who works for someone full time and they do not have the proper INS's ( ie liability or workmans comp )which is required here for electrician's to pull permits, now do I think it's a good idea?
hmmm I suppose you'll want my thought's on AFCI's too !!! LOL
nice chattin with ya! hope I was of help
P.S. it is not dissallowed by MEC unless you try and pay yourself!

#7923 03/01/02 12:38 AM
Rbiro,

Your point is conceded.

There are things that can happen or methods of installation that can damage materials or equipment that cannot be seen during any inspection. A knowledgable person would know to avoid certain things or take certain precautions. The best intentions alone cannot ensure a trouble free installation. And, Builders are not generally well known for putting good intentions above the bottom dollar.

Bill

PS, Welcome to our New Member from Mass.

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-28-2002).]

Bill
#7924 03/01/02 01:02 AM
HIGHVOLTAGE,

No, I will not put you on the spot about AFCIs (unless you want to volunteer something) but I would like to know about the noticable lack of street signs in Mass and why Bathroom light switches are outside the room? [Linked Image]

Seriously though, do you think that everything can be seen during a visual inspection, no matter how thorough?

Bill

Bill
#7925 03/01/02 01:39 AM
G
Bill,
You know the type of inspections I do. I am basically on the job at all times work is being performed. Do I miss things? All the time. NO inspector could catch everything, especially during a cursory inspection. Should be ban homeowners from doing their own work, if it is inspected? Absolutely not. VA has the same rules for homeowners as quoted by Highvoltage. It does occasionally allow some sloppy work, but the inspector needs to take a bit extra time on these, again, done professionally or amateur does not guarantee success or failure. My opinion dude, ya asked us to ring in, just don't 'pull my leg' again. BTW; still in cast, MAY be allowed to return to work next Wednesday. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard