ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#79172 01/23/02 04:17 PM
S
Hello Lee.
an interesting article, yes, but i must point out that the trade mags have been full of Arc-Fault ads for years now.

Most here are well aware of how the NEC is lobbied, as well as manned by special interests, all who would simply turn to the first few NEC pages can see this.

I would also like to point out that those who seek factual analysis as to the glorified widget's efficay should not be branded as nay-sayers here, anti-safety, or other label because we question the 'safety biz' as applied to our livelyhood.

Please show me series vs. parrallel incidents here.....as a colletive statistic from electrical fires.

Please show me the 'series' vs. parrallel related incidents here.....as a collective stat from non-fire related incidents
(i.e.-what this trade see's day-in, day-out...)

Show me the facts, & i'll be a believer that will pass this on. As a contractor we will constitute the largest 'end sale' for any new market. Put yourself in a contractors shoes and imagine yourself selling arc-faults. Better yet, hanging your good name on thier performance.
Catch yourself saying.....

It WILL prevent electrical fires ma'am, just like all the ad's say....

And you will forever be held to this, while the CMP's, NEC, and inspection community can claim immunity...... YOU MADE THE SALE!

Likewise, put yourself in a customers shoes,
would you be sold on a 'maybe' product? , hey i'm talking a dozen of these @ $30 a wack here........

conversly.....

would you be a tad upset if you found someone selling you on false security?

Show me replies like this;

A series arc is an arc fault at a break or gap in a single conductor in series with a connected load or arcing line to ground.

The test is in UL 1699. In practice, manufacturers utilize the fact that NM-B contains a bare ground conductor. Any break in a single conductor causes current leakage to this ground wire, and the AFCI opens the circuit prior to the arc burning through the NM-B insulation. Since leakage to ground is the response criterion,

........and any electrician worth his salt has the right to skepticism.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-23-2002).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79173 02/10/02 07:29 PM
B
Me to.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard