ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
DUBLIN Offline OP
In a residentual single family dwelling with a (whirlpool/shower/steamroom) enclosure,this is a single combination use module. The whirlpool portion is supplyed by 2 20amp GFCI circuits (both circuits controlled by dead front GFCI devices located near the tub inclosure, the load side being terminated in single 20 amp recepticals to be cord connected to each the pump and inline heater).The steam generator is located in the basement 15 feet from the main service panel (within direct site), this is a 2 pole 20 amp circuit. The steam generator has a built in GFCI control (first one i've ever seen). The question is...Is it permissible to install merely a breaker Lock or would one need to adhear to the code more rigidly and install a disconnecting means(other than the breaker itself)?

| )ubli| |
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
For which component?

D
DUBLIN Offline OP
the steam generator, the whirlpool portion has already met code requirements.

| )ubli| |
E
A Breaker Handle Lock would seem to be the minimum to get by.

With a 15 foot separation in the basement between steam generator and breaker, I wonder what the long term possibility is for a partition wall being built that breaks line of sight?

Setting a double pole 20 A snap switch at the steam generator would probably be a more conservative approach.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
Dublin,

Hello, Welcome to ECN
Wouldn't the situation that you already have be code compliant?

Bill

Bill
E
Whoops!

That was a red monkey (don't think of one!).

Dublin. . .the steam generator is probably only resistive heating of a vessel, no motor, so no local in sight disconnect is required. The branch circuit over current protective device is all the disconnect needed.

Coffee, please. [Linked Image]

Al Hildenbrand
D
DUBLIN Offline OP
Thanks ElectricAl kinda the direction I wasleaning towards. The local informed the contractor that he believed the steam generator would require a disconnect, I wasn't able to confirm a definate code requirement so was about to suggest to the local to allow a breaker lock as this is a common practice in the area for (Well pumps,Ovens and cooktops{not cord and plug connected},subpanels in other areas of the home, and other hardwired appliances and motor loads). I've always felt the ability to lockout such items puts everyone in a much safer working inviroment.

Thanks All for the welcome.

| )ubli| |

Link Copied to Clipboard