ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Big Dog Offline OP
According to the Code, Table 515.2 (1999) or 515.3 (2002) for Vent - discharging upward, Class 1 Div 1 for area inside of vent piping or opening, Class 1 Div 1 within 3 ft of open end of vent, extending in all directions, and Class 1 Div 2 for area between 3ft and 5 ft of open end of vent, extending in all directions.

I am using an indoor Class 1 Div 2 rated dust collection system which is removing air and vapors from a Class 1 Div 2 rated area The dust collection system has two vents, one that discharges upward within 18 inches of a non-rated area and another that discharges horizontally within 30 inches of the same non-rated area.

If the dust collection system is taking in only air and vapors from a Class 1 Div 2 rated area, it should only be exhausting Class 1 Div 2 air and vapors, therefore I am unsure if Table 515.3 is applicable for this case.

Could the code be interpreted that the area within 3 ft of the open end of vent, extending in all directions, would be Class 1 Div 2? Therefore could I cover the upward discharge and only utilize the horizontal discharge and relocate to within 36 inches of the non-rated area? Would this still be in violation with the Code?

It is not a bulk storage plant. The Class 1 Div 2 rated area is a lab area. In the lab area liquids, chemicals, and solids of Group D will be used and mixed in open containers.

[This message has been edited by Big Dog (edited 11-02-2001).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Are you working on a bulk storage plant? Article 515 only applies to bulk storage facilities for flamable liquids. Please give us more details on the installation.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
Don,

It looks like Big Dog may have added some information to the original post.

Bill

Bill
R
Big Dog,
The code does not address the area of classification except in specific locations. It only tells us how to install the wiring after the classification has been determined. This question should be addressed by the design engineer that did the original lab classification. If there is not an engineer involved, I guess I would have to be very conservative and classify an area larger than that specified in the code section that you cited. I say larger because your vent is powered and the ones in 515 are not. The force of the fan may extend the ignitable concentration a greater distance form the vent opening. Then on the other hand, it may also serve to dilute the air stream so that the vapor concentration is below the lower flammable limit making it a non classified area. There are too many variables to answer this question on a forum.
don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
G
Don,

Once many years ago, It was suggested to me by a salesman for products for the NEC 500 series Articles, " If no one ( project engineer or owner) wants to "Classify" a hazardous area and wants the AHJ to make the classifcation, just Classify the area as the most strict possible ".

CYA.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn (edited 11-02-2001).]

Link Copied to Clipboard