ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
I just found this this morning.

2002 NEC section 210.7 - "Branch Circuit Outlet Requirements." part (C) states:

Where more than one branch circuit supplies more than one receptacle on the same yoke, a means to simultaneously disconnect the ungrounded conductors supplying those receptacles shall be provided at the panelboard where the branch circuits originated.

Raises a question about how to hook up a dual voltage device like a 15A 125V and 15A 250V set of receptacles on one yoke. Or the pair of neutrals and hots to a standard duplex with the tabs removed, where the hots originate from the same bus.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
ElectricAL,
Is there a corresponding article in the '99 code? I think this requirement is "all new for 2002". Prior to this, I believe a loophole allowed breakers from the same bus to be left un-tied.
One way to do this from the same bus would be to use minis with a tie.

E
Redsy,

Looks to me like 210.7.C is new to the 2002 NEC. The passage has a vertical line along its side.

I was into the pleasure of a couple strong cups of coffee yesterday when my engineer side ran amok (beware the dark side) and I came up with the two hots from the same bus idea over in the combo fan thread.

I realized later that the material available from the manufacturer probably limits the building of my idea a bit. I mean, I could built this with safety switches or fuse panels with pull outs that are field connected to the bus, but circuit breakers seem to be a problem. In the few places I've looked, I can't find handle ties that are listed for a single tandem breaker. And what about two 240V circuits to a duplex. . .what kind of handle tie works with two pole breakers?

Al

Al Hildenbrand
S
hmmmm,
a dedicated disco that serves a 4-circuit can?
Al, you got a real corker here!
[Linked Image]

B
Al;
From what I was just reading is;
Intent: The intent is to require all ungrounded (hot) circuit conductors terminating on multiple receptacles (duplex) on the same yoke to be disconnected simultaneously regardless of type of occupancy. This rule is intended to prevent persons from unintentionally working on energized circuits that they thought were disconnected. the 99 NEC only required the circuit disconnect to simultaneously interupt the multiwire circuit to multiple receptacles on the same yoke if the receptacle was located in a dwelling unit.
REF, MHE 2002 code changes.

Link Copied to Clipboard