ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#7878 02/27/02 02:05 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
I'd like to ask some of you guys who work mostly large commercial & industrial the following question-
Other than during a new construction project, when will you obtain permits & inspections for some of your work.
For example, if you were renovating the interior of a small office building, or were adding a feeder for a few motors in a small manufacturing facility, would permits & inspections be required? How specific are some of the local ordinances with regard to when permits are required? I'm not askin IF you get them, just when and if they are required.

#7879 03/01/02 10:23 AM
R
Redsy Offline OP
Let me try a different approach--
How about you maintenance personnel. Do you require inspections when contractors perform non-construction type work as described above at your site?
How about you inspectors.
Should all work as described in the above question require inspection?

#7880 03/01/02 12:05 PM
G
Redsy,
The laws in VA are very stringent. You may replace a fixture or device with one of the same specs without a permit, other than that the law requires a licensed individual (or the homeowner who signs a statement of responsibility)to perform the work.

Do people follow it? NOPE [Linked Image]

Do inspection agencies have the personnel to enforce this? NOPE [Linked Image]

Let's not simply equate this to electrical work, what about the deck held onto the structure with 16 penny nails? Sloppy work has been with us Lo these many years and will continue to be with us. If you can't live with that as an inspector, I suggest lots of Maalox tablets and nitro pills.

Technically, my type work requires the permit process be applied for every change. Do I enforce it? NOPE [Linked Image]

Going through the committees would in effect stop the work cold for a month at a time, so I make certain all aberrations are noted on the as-builts, are code compliant, and within the scope of what the customer needed/wanted.

Don't know that this answers your question, but I hope it's what you're looking for. [Linked Image]

#7881 03/01/02 01:49 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, George.
The point I'm getting to is that over the past 20 years, many contractors have performed work at our facilities. In many cases, code violations are found. Due to the lax licensing requirements in many of the localities in PA, it is fairly easy to become an electrical contractor. I was wondering that if inspections were required on some of these jobs, would that improve the overall quality of the installations.(assuming competent inspectors)
Also, aren't local laws being violated each time a job is done without a permit?

#7882 03/01/02 05:42 PM
M
Here in NJ, all electrical work that includes "moving any wire over 10V" requires a permit and inspection.

I've only gotten electrical permits if the work is part of a bigger construction project.

As a maintenance director, we do alot of electrical work in-house including adding circuits, replacing all sorts of equipment, etc. I've also hired out some bigger work or work when we were too busy to get to it. Never asked for permits, too much hastle for me and you.

I do inspect the work to be sure I'm satisfied but mostly rely on a few contractors that I know and trust.

Not getting permits for work that nobody's going to see is the norm.

note: if you are one of my local inspectors, I above is a lie, I made it up.

#7883 03/01/02 08:05 PM
F
In Ontario Canada Inspection has a program called CSS or Contiuing Saftey Service.Every four months a regular inspector will call and give one weeks notice of inspection.All electrical work orders are either put on computer or in a binder supplied by them.When the inspector shows up he checks off any work orders he wants to see and does the inspection.Repair and replacement of existing equipment and any jobs up to five lights or recepticals are covered by the annual contract.If he wants a permit he lets us know and we call it in.You always get the same inspector,they keep you up to date with the code changes,and it's cheaper.

#7884 03/01/02 08:30 PM
G
Redsy,
BTW, all of our contracts have a clause that states the contractor WILL adhere to the NEC even if a permit is not required (remember some of my work is a matter of National Security - NO permits). I do have to hang my hat on the contract occasionally, but yours should read the same.

#7885 03/02/02 12:45 AM
H
Redsy
From the Book (this ia a mass amendment) 527 CMR 12.00 2002 MEC
Rule 1. All installations , repairs and maintenance of electrical wiring and electrical fixtures used for light,heat, power, signaling and communications purposes inbuildings and structures subject to the provisions on MGL ( mass gen laws) 143 shal be reasonably safe to persons and property.

now MGL 143 contains alot so i'll skip to what your looking for

" NO person shall install for hire any electrical wiring or fixtures subject to this section without first or within 5 days after commencing the work giving notice to the inspector of wires appointed pursuant to the provisions of sec 32 of chapter 1 and 66 said notice shall be giving by mailing or delivering a permit application form prepared by the board , to said inspector. any persons failing to give such notice shall be punished by a fine of not more than $500 . this shall be inforced by the inspector of wires within his jurisdiction and the state examiners of electricians."

my advice.... Always make that call to the local AHJ and ask or that states board of electricians
HV

#7886 03/02/02 12:47 AM
H
ok i didn't check all the spelling first...

Link Copied to Clipboard