ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#78502 09/30/01 08:59 AM
K
ken m Offline OP
i realize the code requires a smoke dect in the sleeping areas. in our areas (S.CAROL)the locals require dectors in the bedrooms so i install them in the bed rms as well as in the general areas and of course all tied together. how do you folks do them and what are the requirements in your areas?
thx. ken m

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#78503 09/30/01 12:10 PM
S
ken,
I'm not really that sharp on NFPA 72 ( I do have my 8 hrs to do in Dec) , but here it differes as to the occupancy. i.e.--multi-unit, school , etc.

For our multi-unit's it is a matter of new construction vs. fire code retrofit, as the existing stuff may not always get an interconnect.

In VT if we are using line voltage, it must be with battery BU, the systems must have notification, it gets deeper as U go...

Case in point, a recent inspection had the notification per third party alarm co. timed to a response ( NFPA 25...dunno...) which was not to the satisfaction of the local Fire Chief or State Fire Marshal.... [Linked Image]

#78504 09/30/01 12:39 PM
P
Ken:

The U.K. requirement (since 1992) is:

Detectors to be A.C. mains powered
At least one detector per story
All detectors/alarms interconnected
Detectors located no more than 7m (23 ft) from "the door of a room where a fire is likely to start," and no more than 3m (approx. 10 ft) from a bedroom door.

The requirement is part of our Building Regulations, and unlike the electrical regs. compliance is compulsory for new construction (in theory at least).

#78505 09/30/01 10:58 PM
Ken,

We've got (New Construction) one in every Bedroom, outside in the Hallway and on each floor, all interconnected. Battery Backup not required at this time. In addition a CO detector is required by the bedrooms somewhere and must be AC powered, w/digital display, and of the type that records the total accumulated exposure.

Paul,
You probably know this is coming, but What kind of rooms are fires likely to start in?

Bill

Bill
#78506 10/01/01 05:33 AM
P
Originally posted by Bill Addiss:

Paul,
You probably know this is coming, but What kind of rooms are fires likely to start in?
Bill

Yep, I know... It's a very vaguely worded regulation! The kitchen would have to be the most obvious choice, but beyond that it's open to argument.

The 23' leaves plenty of room for maneuver though. In most new British homes that would allow a detector in or near the kitchen and it would be well within that distance of the living room & dining room doors as well.

In small single-story homes, quite often just one detector would be within this range and could be within 10ft of the bedroom doors as well.

On two-story ("storey" in British), there's rarely more than one on aach floor, except for large houses.

Link Copied to Clipboard