ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#77727 07/12/01 11:13 PM
R
Joe,
Does Bob have any technical data that says the cold flow effect will produce less than a 15% torque change?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#77728 07/13/01 09:27 AM
D
Joe, I knew you would email me before I got to the office this morning. I was in Joe's class (Understanding the Basics of Building Electrical Inspeciton) this week and asked the guestion, "How does one check to see if an electrical contractor torqued a termination to the manufacturers' specification?". I remembered that Bob Nolan (from my Grounding and Bonding Seminar) had made reference to a method, but I could not remember the method completely. Joe suggested that we try the website for comments. Thanks everyone for the insights you gave me. Bob, responded with his answer in the form of an email which Joe sent out to all respondents last night. Again, thanks. Joe, I have registered and look forward to many more discussions like this.

Originally posted by Joe Tedesco:
How can the electrical inspector be sure that the torque at terminations meets the manufacturers instructions?

Is there some method that can be used to double check the terminations?

#77729 07/16/01 12:11 PM
R
Originally posted by resqcapt19:
Joe,
Does Bob have any technical data that says the cold flow effect will produce less than a 15% torque change?
Don

#77730 07/16/01 12:30 PM
R
Originally posted by resqcapt19:
Joe,
Don
Don: no technical data, on this job the electrical engineers, contractor and myself agreed to the 15% as the torque inspection would be done about 1 hour after the installation. The system was new never energized, the torque was on bolted lugs with copper conductors, and the temperature in the area was contolled.
No one felt cold flow, thread lubricants, or differences in wreaches as something that would effect the installation or my inspection settings.
After inspecting 1100 plus terminations everyont felt the process was OK.

#77731 07/16/01 01:11 PM
R
Bob,
Thanks. I was just wondering if there was any published data for this. I know that even without loading and temperature changes there is some cold flow over a period of time that will allow a partial turn before the original torque is reached when you check the torque. I don't think there would be much change in the one hour time frame that you were working with, but wonder about how much change there would be after a week or two.

Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard