ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77630 06/28/01 09:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
We are in a debate on what should, or should not be used. I was told that we must use a metal face plate for Garage GDO's, yet, another electrician told me that it doesn't matter. Which is correct. Note: It made logical since at one point to use the metal, to protect the wires in the GDO's recepticle-if a fire was to break loose. (located in the ceiling of the garage--does not need GFCI protection).

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
There is a requirement(although the std. escapes me right now. Joe?) that fire ratings must be maintained in the event of penetrations in fire rated walls(attached garages would apply). This includes disallowing back-to-back penetrations in the same stud cavity, limiting the total area of the wall space allowed for device boxes(100 sq.in.?), and using metal boxes on fire-rated walls. If a metal box is required to maintain fire resistance ratings, a plastic plate seems to diminish its effectiveness.

To properly maintain the fire rating of the ceiling, the box should be wrapped with an approved fire pad. If there was a requirement for metal plates, they would be required in all fire corridors, etc. Besides, why have a metal plate when the fire will burn right through the plastic device?

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 06-29-2001).]

Redsy: See the FPN,

Section 300-21. Spread of Fire or Products of Combustion

Electrical installations in hollow spaces, vertical shafts, and ventilation or air-handling ducts shall be made so that the possible spread of fire or products of combustion will not be substantially increased.

Openings around electrical penetrations through fire-resistant-rated walls, partitions, floors, or ceilings shall be firestopped using approved methods to maintain the fire resistance rating.

FPN: Directories of electrical construction materials published by qualified testing laboratories contain many listing installation restrictions necessary to maintain the fire-resistive rating of assemblies where penetrations or openings are made.

An example is the 24-in. (610-mm) minimum horizontal separation that usually applies between boxes on opposite sides of the wall.

Assistance in complying with Section 300-21 can be found in these directories and product listings.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
N
Hello From Colorado!!!!!!!

I have noticed on the inside of the plastic boxes that I use, The single gang boxes are rated for 2 hour fire and the 3/0 light boxes are rated for 4 hour fire.

We are required to use only 4 hour fire rated boxes in the cielings.

Any one else???????

Jon Niemeyer
Tom Offline
Allied makes 1 & 2 gang fiberglass boxes that are 2 hour rated, can be in the same stud space & don't need putty pads. I don't think a metal faceplate is part of the fire rating on any box.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
I must apologize. I was thinking in terms of metal boxes, which have holes in them.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 06-29-2001).]

Link Copied to Clipboard