ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#77480 06/10/01 08:10 AM
I got bit by the dog, and ended up at Kaiser the other night for stitches. While there I noticed that all the recps were installed with the U-grd up. I'm not trying to raise that old subject we've already beaten to death, but is there some non NEC reason for this? I've noticed that all the hospitals I've been in are this way. Also, the Doctor said the same.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#77481 06/10/01 03:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
All the reasons given were non-NEC.

#77482 06/10/01 06:28 PM
I realize that there's no NEC requirement. What I'm asking is if there is another code such as UBC or?? that applies here, and if so what it is. I've not done hospitals, nor seen specs or prints for them. I don't know why. That is why I'm asking.

#77483 06/10/01 07:40 PM
S
electure;
there is a JCOAH ( joint commission on the accredidation of hospitals), and as far as my experience, we are no where near the code-thumpers they are, so it could possibly be a lead to your chief Q.

p.s., where you inspecting a kennel???

[Linked Image]

#77484 06/10/01 07:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
These are shown ground up: http://www.quail.com/locator/nema.htm

#77485 06/11/01 07:40 AM
Sparky, Thanks, Maybe that's the answer. No, I was just in the yard and the dog went nuts when he caught a bird, and forgot who the boss was.
DSpark, I can't put much store in that chart, as they can't even spell receptacle correctly. I'm not trying to start the old up-down thing again. (That old Jack and the Beanstalk subject).

#77486 06/11/01 11:42 AM
R
I have come to the conclusion that it is a personal preference and, short of requests by customers, its either up or down. That being said, I seem to think that this whole controversy is only about 10 years old(correct me if I am wrong). Up until then I believe that ground was always down. I am not saying that this is better, because there are good reasons shown for griund up. But then again, old habits die hard.

#77487 06/12/01 10:28 AM
W
I agree this horse has been run hard and put up wet too many times. But if you notice how many home appliance makers use a cord with the u-gnd molded in the down position. Refrigerators and freezers are good examples. If the u-gnd is in the up position on the receptacle then the cord will have an unusual sharp bend in it. This stress in the backward position will eventually cause a home-owner to call a good electrician to replace the cord. That's where you guys come in.
Why do these manufacturers make the cords that way? Others use a straight plug which can be turned either way. I just don't know how to figure it all out.
We had an experience at our house with the molded plug with the u-gnd down. It was on a fish tank piece of equipment which was on a desk against the wall. One of our grandchildren pushed some pennies of the bvack of the desk. So happens the plug was not seated tight to the receptacle and a penny fell in behind and onto the hot and neutral. My circuit breaker did trip. It took several times around the house to find that one. Had the u-gnd been in the up position, then the penny would have just rolled off without touching any other pole.
So there are arguments still remaining for either application.

#77488 07/06/01 03:15 AM
T
I worked as an electrician in a hospital for 15 years and we began placing the rec.s with the ground up many years ago. The reason being is that we used stainless steel covers and over time as the receptacles were utilized, the covers would loosen and often fall on the hot and neutral blades of the cord cap. This happens a lot. With the ground up, you have a good chance of it not grounding the hot. Hope this helps.

#77489 07/06/01 09:27 AM
[Linked Image from codecheck.com]

Good reason for the U ground to be up.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 07-06-2001).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard