ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#77377 05/26/01 01:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
inspectors are requiring GFCI protection on laundry room receptacles, and on sump pump receptacles before they will issue a occupancy permit.
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!

>I think there may be enough stray leakage current from some of these motors to cause nuisance tripping, and in the case of the sump pump, a major problem developing when the pump loses power when its needed most.
I think you are wrong. Don't put more than two devices on a single GFCI. Put the sump on a dedicated GFCI that cannot get wet - ever.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#77378 05/26/01 02:31 AM
Redsy,

I would be inclined to think that there may be some problem with the sump pump or it's supply cord. Perhaps a closer inspection would reveal something.

Bill

Bill
#77379 05/26/01 08:43 AM
R
Originally posted by Dspark:
I am afraid that the moisture at the sump pump motor, not at the GFCI itself will cause the GFCI to trip and render a sump pump useless. I would prefer to mount a single receptacle (not duplex)dedicated for the sump pump behind it(inaccessible for general use) and skip the GFCI.[b]inspectors are requiring GFCI protection on laundry room receptacles, and on sump pump receptacles before they will issue a occupancy permit.
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!

>I think there may be enough stray leakage current from some of these motors to cause nuisance tripping, and in the case of the sump pump, a major problem developing when the pump loses power when its needed most.
I think you are wrong. Don't put more than two devices on a single GFCI. Put the sump on a dedicated GFCI that cannot get wet - ever.[/B]

#77380 05/26/01 08:45 AM
R
Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Redsy,

I would be inclined to think that there may be some problem with the sump pump or it's supply cord. Perhaps a closer inspection would reveal something.
Bill,
No particular application in mind. Just an overall concern that the pump may not perform when needed.
Bill

#77381 05/26/01 09:04 AM
Redsy,

Perhaps, depending on location and other factors, they may allow a single receptacle that is non-GFCI protected. I believe that the code would permit this.

Bill

Bill
#77382 05/26/01 09:19 AM
S
today's basic electrical rules,
water & people = GFI
do not necessarily apply across the board.

some of this, as far as NEC rules, makes sense to me, some does not.

some , i suspect, are simply awaiting the Darwinian factor to come about.

[Linked Image]

#77383 05/26/01 11:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
So let your sump trickle away milliamps all day. Waste energy. Have a higher bill.
Sump pumps are very expensive. Ones that are electrically sound are even more expensive. Just put in a dedicated outlet and leave it there until it leaks bad enough to blow the circuit breaker.

#77384 05/27/01 12:56 AM
Redsy,

Sorry, I didn't see that you had mentioned the single receptacle already. All this quoting and Bold lettering is a bit confusing. Have you tried suggesting it to them or expressed your concern?

I would see no reason to agree with them about the Laundry room receptacles. It makes things safer and tripping would cause no harm. As far as the Sump Pump goes I can see your point but it is a tossup as far as which is the lesser of 2 evils. Bottom line though is that it's their call. A GFCI could save a life. With nuisance tripping the most likely worst case outcome would be property damage. That may be the way that they're seeing it.

Bill

Bill
#77385 05/27/01 10:06 AM
R
Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Redsy,

Sorry, I didn't see that you had mentioned the single receptacle already. All this quoting and Bold lettering is a bit confusing. Have you tried suggesting it to them or expressed your concern?

I would see no reason to agree with them about the Laundry room receptacles. It makes things safer and tripping would cause no harm. As far as the Sump Pump goes I can see your point but it is a tossup as far as which is the lesser of 2 evils. Bottom line though is that it's their call. A GFCI could save a life. With nuisance tripping the most likely worst case outcome would be property damage. That may be the way that they're seeing it.

Bill

Bill,
I never debate the issue with the twp. I just do what they require. I just thought it was an interesting issue.

#77386 05/27/01 01:21 PM
Redsy,

What's "twp" stand for?

I agree it's an interesting issue. I'm not sure which way I'd want to go on that. It would depend on where the pump is I guess and the likelihood of it being needed.

I will always try not to put a Refrigerator or Freezer on a GFCI because I've seen many instances where power surges and such have caused a GFCI to trip. I wouldn't want it to happen while I was away on vacation. I guess it's a calculated risk at best.

Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard