ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
arthur Offline OP
Hi all,

I have to install outlets in the basement, the studs are 1.5" thick and the insulation is 1.5", the drywall is .5" ,this gives me at least 2" clearance from the concrete wall. If I put the NM B wires in between stud and insulation will this be up to CODE ? I'm thinking that that any 1.25" screw or nail can't reach the wire so this will be OK. I just don't want to remove the insulation and use conduit (?).

Thanks,

Arthur

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
You can notch the front side of the studs and lay the romex in there and install metal nail plates over the romex. Keep the romex no less than 1 1/4" from the front of the studs for the vertical run(s) of romex to the outlet boxes (running parallel to the studs).

M
Correction; steel nail plate a minimum of 1/16" thick.

Arthur,

I'm having a hard time picturing what you are talking about. Are these studs 'on the Flat' against the concrete wall? What type of insulation? I'm trying to figure out what you mean by going between the stud and insulation.

the studs are 1.5" thick and the insulation is 1.5", the drywall is .5" ,this gives me at least 2" clearance from the concrete wall. If I put the NM B wires in between stud and insulation will this be up to CODE ?

Bill

Bill
A
arthur Offline OP
The studs and the rigid insulation were already in placed by the builder. Shall I say 'can I put the wires in the gap between the stud and insulation' ? or simply at the side of the stud adjacent to the insulation ?

Thanks,

Arthur

Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Arthur,

I'm having a hard time picturing what you are talking about. Are these studs 'on the Flat' against the concrete wall? What type of insulation? I'm trying to figure out what you mean by going between the stud and insulation.

Bill

Arthur,

You should be Ok if you can figure some way of securing the cable back there (all the way).

Make sure that you are using boxes of the proper cu. in. capacity.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard