ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TRS Offline OP
I've got a situation in which I need to use a J-box to extend an existing run. Unfortunately, the box will be placed in a location where, for aesthetic reasons, I'd prefer not to install an access panel. I thought I could install a light to circumvent this problem, but the boxes that come with small recessed halogen fixtures (my preference in this case) are too small to accommodate 3 12/2 conductors (power in, 1 beginning of the run switch, power out). Would it be code to install a j-box on the joist next to fixture such that access to the box is via the fixture hole in the drywall ceiling?

Thanks!

-TRS

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
it has been done, i think it is called a "floater". there was another B"s thread that addressed the older wirings temp rating by doing just that.

the term "accessible" has 3 definitions;
-as applied to wiring methods
-as applied to equipment
-readily accessible

all evoke much debate, with given situations.

we need a few more points of view here

[Linked Image]

S
I would say it is accessible. The alternative is to have contractors who install old wires in fixtures rated 90 deg. and blow the UL listing. Is the can at least a five inch diameter?

T
TRS Offline OP
The can is at least 5" (I'm not sure of exact specs) and I have the option of mounting it as a remodel unit (after the drywall is up) so that it can be removed at any time.

Thanks.

-TRS

TRS,

The fixtures with the mounting bars on them will usually come out too after loosening several screws inside the can. Many will say that a 'floating box' that can be pulled down out of the ceiling through the hole will be acceptable. It would be best if you can relocate the splice to a more accessible area if possible.

Bill

Bill
S
the thing is, you have to know it's there, or it'll drive you nuts trying to find it

[Linked Image]

Tom Offline
In my opinion, the floating junction box would be a violation of 370-23. I don't see anything in this article that would allow the box to be supported by cable. This is the same article that bans homemade extension cords that use (un)handy boxes or 4x4 boxes or just about any other common box with a receptacle installed in them.

Before the days of the inexpensive circuit tracer, a customer paid me about $200 to find a loose connection in one of these boxes. I admit I'm slow on the uptake sometimes, but it took awhile for me to understand that someone would perpetrate such a dastardly deed.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
well ok Tom, i have to admit, chasing down buried J-boxes does bring such langauge to mind

[Linked Image]

Tom Offline
Sparky,

Bad language and a whole lot more. It is enough to make you wish you were born with x-ray eyes when you're working on one of these.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Tom,

I don't recommend this as I think it is questionable also. In a previous discussion, at another BB I was asking about preferred ways of dealing with New Ceiling fixtures and older wiring types. (I think Sparky may have seen it too) I was told by several Inspectors that it was acceptable to use a 'Floater' Box to splice a short length of newer 90C wire and push it up in the ceiling. I don't see this as being much different, except that it may be easier to avoid and if it is not wiring associated with the fixture it could be a real pain to find.

Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard