ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76693 03/15/01 03:31 AM
A question came up that makes me think - Does someone in the Trade "Employ" the NEC or is it the other way around? What's your opinion?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76694 03/15/01 07:59 AM
S
it would seem that the trade is "subjected" or "obligated" to the NEC. It is not within my power as to weather i will choose to "employ" it or not.

The only desicion i, as a field electrician, can really make on my own is lunch....

[Linked Image]

#76695 03/15/01 09:42 AM
Sparky,

So, would you say that you are acting under it's direction? sort of like .... an Employee?

Bill
#76696 03/15/01 04:22 PM
S
I really don't know what terminology would apply here. There is no code reference,( I am in art 90 & 100) I would have to say that I do operate under it's direction,or those whom interpret such direction.

I have to admit to being somewhat slighted in that AHJ ( one who interprets code) is all thru the book, and getting it's own defined article.

meanwhile....

The National ELECTRICAL code, as far as I have read, does not mention ELECTRICIAN, which is , I suppose, our job title.

If it were to state this, perhaps in 90-1-c, even in a FPN, then the NEC might possibly be held as an employer/employee related document.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 03-15-2001).]

#76697 03/16/01 01:59 AM
D
doc Offline
I do not believe the NEC is an employeer or employee it is strictly a set of guide lines that depending on your on moral turpitude you chose to follow them are not.They are strictly a min. set of standards to go by that again depending on where you live if they are even enforced or used.If you employeed it then that means you have the right to fire it which you don't do if of good moral turpitude,and if it was employeer then it would fire the devil out of a lot of people which it cannot do.Did you all like the big words i used ha ha

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
#76698 03/16/01 03:59 PM
S
this does get into the leagal realm of the universe, don't it?

the NEC can be upheld in court as a leagal document? yes/no?

if a position, such as the new art 80, defines a persons responsibilities pertinent to the NEC.....well it brings me back to Bill's original Q

Who's the Boss?

[Linked Image]

#76699 03/20/01 03:24 PM
E
I believe the NEC is a book of minimum guide lines that are adopted by many parties having authority to enforce. As electricians we should use this as our minimum references book to guide us thru our trade. Just my opinion.

#76700 03/20/01 09:41 PM
B
Bill: I am suspecting a hidden motive for this question. [Linked Image]
Would you please elaborate?

#76701 03/25/01 08:00 PM
M
Hi from a newbie!

The way I've always understood it is that the NEC is a set of guidelines that your particular state or municipality can choose to enact into law, or not. In my state of MN, I believe it is passed into law at some point during every legislative session. In states and localities where it is not enacted into law, I would think that it goes by the honor system (Or not... YIKES!).

I would say that the NEC is not our employer, but a set of legal requirements (in places that enact it into law), just as any laws are. I know that MN state board of electricity publishes a regular list of people and buisnesses that were caught violating the code, and describes what legal action (fine or other) was taken against them.

My employer is the one who signs my check [Linked Image]

Nice site guys!

Matt

#76702 03/25/01 09:38 PM
Matt,

Welcome! [Linked Image]
Your description sounds about right. As well as the others, No argument there.

Doc, .. moral turpitude? you've been reading the dictionary again, haven't you? [Linked Image]

Bennie,
Motive? I'm just doing a bit of 'Abstract Thinking' with this. I was just wondering if this somehow Paralleled an Employer/Employee relationship that there would be more provisions in the code protecting the Installer, Serviceman and Inspector. If We, as Electricians and Inspectors are bound to follow it's rules I would think (abstractly again) that it should be more concious of our needs. Why did it take 100 years to require a Light fixture near a Residential Panelboard?

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard