ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#76668 03/10/01 02:49 PM
Tim,

You're hitting on my main reason for starting this thread. We are bound to install Electrical equipment safely, according to rules of the NEC and associated listings that most people have never seen!
Am I missing something? [Linked Image]

Thanks for your Comments,

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76669 03/10/01 03:21 PM
Broom Pusher and
That sounds like a great plan. I would like to attend some of the IAEI seminars and lectures, even without the temptation of "goodies" being available, just to be more active in my field.

Tell you guys the truth, I had never even known of the existence of any UL documents/books, prior to July 1994! I was trying to design solid IG systems for LANs at new and remodeled bank branches, which were built around the IBM 4700 systems/3270 system interconnections, plus Gateways for the WAN ability.
Contacted IBM to toss ideas at them and get their suggestions. After a bunch of red tape, they suggested to use the UL and IEEE Emerald books for design documentation. They also mentioned the UL White book would be a great suppliment, more like extention, to the NEC.
They're techs really had no more to offer to my design wants than I had already come up with, even though I actually was successful enough to get some serious and undivided attention from them [the IBM techs] for at least 3 days! Maybe they were trying to keep from looking like "dummies", or maybe it was after mentioning continuously, not only the name of the client [the banks], but several well known contacts with the client [and a few calls from them too!].
Although they mentioned these books, I still had no clue where to get them at, so I had to use other means of designs [my trusty, but way too hardcore Electrical Engineering Manual, plus some Library reference books on RFI/EMI/TVSS and such].

Imagine trying to search the internet, back in July 1994 for these documents! Using Netscape 2.0 something and a 386SX machine with a 9600 KBPS MODEM! It was still a goose chase through hyperspace in late 1996 with my new [at that time] P5 166 mhz machine, 28.8 KBPS MODEM and Netscape 3.0

I had heard of the IEEE color book series before then.
Everything related to computers has endless references to IEEE manuals - you guys know what I mean by this! IEEE 802.5 [tolken ring] was one of the first that I really wanted to get ahold of whatever that color book this is in! 802.3 [Ethernet] was another.
I would love to read the actual specs behind IEEE 1284. Have seen a few places that defies it's logic! [Linked Image] Others that would be interesting to read are IEEE 408 [HPIB] and IEEE 1394 [firewire].

Anyhow, so much for non-related ramblings! I'll take a spin over to the IAEI forum and find out where and when there's something close to my area and all that jazz [Linked Image]

Thanks everyone for the info!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#76670 03/13/01 03:37 AM
UL Key Word Search Engine here. The UL Directories at your finger tips!

http://www.ul.com/database/

http://www.joetedesco.com

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#76671 03/13/01 05:37 PM
S
Joe;
Thank you for the link, i played around some, but would probably do best to introduce a UL number from the field.
Bill;
note the "hyperlink agreement" in this....might be a good thing...eh?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#76672 03/13/01 06:08 PM
Sparky,

I had a page with links to UL in the Homeowners' area. I should probably fill out the form and put links in the "Lectricians' Areas" too.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/The_UL_Marks.htm

Bill

Bill
#76673 03/13/01 10:14 PM
G
Scott,
go to http://www.ieee.org/ for purchasing IEEE books on line. Non-members can buy and I think the Member Discount is around 30%. They are pretty pricey. They can also be ordered from AVO Institute in Dallas. I do not know if AVO has the 1999 Emerald book in stock yet. My version is the 1992.

Since you seem involved in computer rooms, do you know if they are getting away from using a Signal Reference Grid under the raised floor for rooms that have only AC equipment? If so, can you explain why?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard