ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76643 03/05/01 01:22 AM
G
GaryGnu Offline OP
On a house, I am installing a new receptable and 2 new lights outdoors. The receptacle will be tapped from a GFI receptacle from the basement of the house. Is it OK to wire the 2 outdoor lights on this same GFI circuit?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76644 03/05/01 08:04 AM
S
Lights on a GFI can be a little tricky. This usually is only required where the light is listed for installation from a GFI, as in a shower recessed light.

I am stating this assuming you would supply your outdoor lights from the "load" rather than "line" side of said GFI.

#76645 03/05/01 10:47 AM
G
GaryGnu Offline OP
Definitely coming from the load side of a receptacle 2 or 3 up the chain. Why is it tricky? The lights seem to work OK.

#76646 03/19/01 02:14 PM
E
Mr Gnu.

Call a licensed electrician. Your questions are all over these boards. You say you were a helper for six years. After 6 months I could answer all of the questions you've asked. Call a licensed electrician before you burn someones house down.

Nothing personal but this isn't a hobby.
CALL A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN.

Originally posted by GaryGnu:
On a house, I am installing a new receptable and 2 new lights outdoors. The receptacle will be tapped from a GFI receptacle from the basement of the house. Is it OK to wire the 2 outdoor lights on this same GFI circuit?

#76647 03/19/01 09:22 PM
When I was a journeyman in Wisconsin, I got a job working for an industrial outfit even though my experience was limited to residential. Jason, a 5th year apprentice, could run circles around me bending IMC and Rigid, and wiring motor controls, but when he was called upon to wire a three-way switch, he had to ask me how...! Which put things in perspective for me.

Any decent residential apprentice can wire a 3-way switch, but may know nothing of industrial work...

Any decent industrial apprentice can bend conduit, but may know nothing of residential work...

My hat is of to you GaryGnu, for not being afraid to ask.

Mr. electrician02125

The only problem I've had with having lights on GFCI is occasional nuisance tripping. Could you please enlighten us as to the hazards of this? Today, I installed a recessed light for a shower which was to be on a GFCI protection as per manufacturers instructions... perhaps Nutone would be interested in hearing your theories of these hazards...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 03-19-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard