ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Download is a 385k PDF file.
Take a look and give us your Comments.

http://www.nfpa.org/Codes/National_Electrical_CodeR__NEC/Proposals/necpdf/A_90.pdf

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
You ever go book shopping, and just read the preface? , well sales will pick up on the 2002 .... [Linked Image]

First of all, we gotta say "luminaire" , which i suspect is french for "thing on the cieling", but i'm not sure. Apparently this change is made so many times in the 2002, from the two worded "lighting fixture" that stocks will likely drop in ink.

Art 90-1-d introdues "retroactivity" a 6 sylable beast meaning "I liked it yesterday, but not now"

Art 90-2 is a turf war, utilities have been doing retro's and other usually contracted work for years, NEC exempt.

90-4 is a "special permission" goodie that allows the AHJ the space he/she should have, hats off to Fred H.

Art 80 defines the AHJ. It's wordy, long , and reads like the golden goose for the legal community to really make a living off.

Sparky,

I haven't really had time to go through as much of these as I'd like. I figured that doing it this way We could sort of help each other find the time somehow.

It will take awhile to get used to the word "luminaire" for sure. Art 80 as I understand it is a separate and totally optional Article that may on may not be accepted by jurisdictions. I am surprised that guidelines for "Qualified" person is not here somewhere.

Bill
S
it is a good way to ease into 2002.

it beats sitting in the update with everyone staring cross-eyed at each other with that quizical look.

maybe i'll even be saying "Luminaire" by then

"Ma'am, you'll need a new luminaire"

" Yes, we have luminaire tech's available"

" We have a selection of luminaires"

just practicing... [Linked Image]

M
What is a "luminaire" ? To quote some of the committee members that voted negative; "The word luminaire is not in general use, thus it will add confusion and it is not user friendly." "A search for the word 'luminaire' in dictionaries, including the Encyclopedia Britannica and the 'spell-check' function of word processors fails to find the term." "...YAHOO shows 278 matches for lighting fixtures and only 23 for luminaire, a difference of 255 sites." "Luminaire may be a European word, however, English is a more global language than French." With all of these reasons why not to change the wording, why is "luminaire" being crammed down our throats ?????

S
'and that's the way it is" as Walter Cronkite would say !

( I shoulda took french in high school!)

One should note all the orginizations that are moving towards this term, there is even reference to some sort of an international terminology.

I do not see where Art 80 is optional, i've been looking to find that particular phrase.

The entire article has so many options in it's definition that i would think that would be enough.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 02-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 02-24-2001).]

S
Ah,
there it is in 80-5 ! rather noncommittal if you ask me.

80-13 is WAY more fun. I used to joke about the "Code Police" getting after the slackers....

"Police , Fire, and other enforcement agencies ( Swat team?) shall have authority to render necessary assistance in the enforcement of this Code when requested to do so by the AHJ."

better watch your P's & Q's!
[Linked Image]

G
"Police , Fire, and other enforcement agencies shall have authority to render necessary assistance in the enforcement of this Code when requested to do so by the AHJ."

Ever worked for a boss that would tell you how to do something, knowing you were going to do it that way anyhow? Like that boss the NFPA is just stating the obvious for the sake of looking in control. What city, county or state does not enforce its ordinances or laws, such as building standards, with whatever means necessary (including a swat team)?

Sparky,

They had an Article on this new section in the Jan. issue of EC Magazine (pg.140) take a look if you have it. 2 of the sections spotlighted were 80-9(b) and 80-9(c). Give a look.

Bill

Bill
S
Bill, thanks , it is a good article. Mr. Callanan has graciously left his e-mail at the end of it too. I would really have no aurgement with the new artcile. I suppose there are many AHJ's that will look forward to 2002.

Our AHJ's here have been making saftey calls like 80-9(b) all along, i guess this will give them the teeth they need.

80-13 just creates a comical image for me,,,,

red lights and sirens screaming up to the job, the AHJ on the bullhorn...
"Put down the toolbelt and come out with your hands up!"
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard