ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
tajoch Offline OP
When I worked up in Neb it was required that all hid Metal halide/sodium lights have safety chains, Now down here in Tx, I tried explaining this to my new boss, and he was clueless, I searched the code book but was unable to find where it specified the requirement to attach safety chains???
Any one else have a clue?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
I'm not aware of any such requirement in the NEC. It may be in various building codes.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
D
doc Offline
Don ,seems like there is something about the lights {and it might not be just lights } cannot be supported by just conduit,not for sure in the code but it is something along that line .I have always used a chain just for safety ,in some plants .

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
C
CRW Offline
Doc, when you say "cannot be supported by just conduit" are you referring to the branch circuit conduit to the light, or a threaded nipple that is attached to the top of the fixture?

I don't think the Code says anything about using safety chain. We usually do it, although I've never seen one fall, so I don't know how reliable it is, especially since the fixture isn't designed for it and you have to figure out yourself how/where to attach the chain.

Same thing about installing tie wires to fixtures in a suspended ceiling. I think that's a code requirement from the local builing code or fire code.

R
More likely a manufacturer's recommendation than a building code. If the manufacturer says to put it there, it had better be there!

Rick Miell

Link Copied to Clipboard