ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Arc-fault Circuit Interrupters

Got a few questions concerning this new technology...

How do they work?

How much will they cost?

Why does the NEC think that arcs only happen in bedroom receptacles? (Or realistically, why the requirement for bedrooms over any other part of the house?)

Why not protect every non-dedicated circuit with one? (probably cost prohibitive)

Should I start installing them in new dwellings now, or wait til 2002?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Hi 66' , i'd like to see a component schematic, like the gfi's. i have'nt found much on line as yet. My state (Vt) is stipulating installation this year 2001, on any new construction.

T
In the july/augest 2000 issue of IAEI magazine there where two articles on afci's"Arc-Fault circuit interrupters"&"Arc Detection with the AFCI".You may be able to access them from their website.

I saw those articles also, and thought they were good. But I don't think they are available online. I will write the webmaster at IAEI.

Bill
S
I wonder if they'd be good for those old knob& tube circuits that just won't go away?

V
Vin Offline
I'm curious about how the local AHJ will be able to properly enforce this code.

If a couple with grown children decide to convert one of their three bedrooms into a den or office will the inspector approve of not having an arc fault in the office? Now let's say he does and a year later the couple put the house up for sale and still list it as a three family do they have to upgrade that "office"? If it got missed during the house inspection during the sale and three months later one of the new owners got electrocuted in the old "office" who would be liable?

Just a thought.

Vin,

That's a good point. I'm more curious to see what kind of problems develop with nuisance tripping of the AFCI. It is designed to open when arcing can cause a fire and is supposed to be able to tell the difference between a "good" arc (switch turning on) and a "bad" (dangerous) arc . We'll see ...

'66,
They probably only mention bedrooms as a minimum. I'm guessing that it's because they want to give you a little more protection in the place where you are sleeping. By the time a smoke alarm goes off it may be too late to get out of the room.

Bill
I finally got a decent explanation for the use in bedrooms, if you consider the widespread use of electric blankets...

I personally don't use E-blankets, so I didn't think of their hazards right away.

Any other ideas on why bedrooms circuits are more likely to arc?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Tom Offline
Cost will be about $40 to $50 wholesale.

I personally know of two fires in my area that could have been prevented by AFCI's. Both fires were in bedrooms, luckily, only moderate property damage was involved.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Look here for information on the AFCI:
http://www.homesafetycentral.com/pdf/afci.pdf

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard