ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
What 2 code violations would you like to wipe out totally? (you never see again - ever)

It could be something that you veiw as a Safety Hazard to the Public. Something that would make your job easier, or just something that bugs the Heck out of you.

I say 2 because I have 2 in my mind that I veiw equally intollerable.

Let's keep it PG Rated [Linked Image] and let it out, you'll feel beter for it!

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
373-5-c-Exc # b , I get hives when i read it

S
200-7-c-2....why bother putting that black tape on that white wire in a switch loop..this could be a 5 alarmer here Bill !

Sparky,

Could you please elaborate a little more for us that don't have a code book at all times?
And keep in mind that I'm talking about violations that you come across in the field (not talking about eliminating code rules - you can start another thread on that but prepare for rebuttals).

Bill
As far as new construction (residential) to this day I'd like to see no more of:

1) Over-crowded boxes (at least within reason...)

2) Conductors too short (although '99 code has clarified their intentions of the 6" free conductor rule as more lenient than my interpretation of the '96 code)

Honorable mention...
Lack of anti-oxidant on aluminum connections.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
#1 "Tape on a wirenut"

The people that do this either need to do a better job of splicing or change the brand of wirenuts they use. Just what is it supose to do? hold the wirt nut on,(I doubt it) protect people from getting hurt from the exposed conductor beyond the wirenut. When I see this I hope it was not an electrician. That pratice should have been stoped back in the time of knob and tube w/soldered splices covered in friction tape. Ah that feels better!

#2 "Tape on a recp"

When I see tape wraped around a recp it looks to me as if that person has no confidence in there ability to do a safe job.What a stickey mess!

P.S. As far as these being a code violation I feel it is in violation of one of the section I take the most pride in following and that is 110-12 "Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner" Amen!

Dave T.

[This message has been edited by gto6t7 (edited 01-09-2001).]

Dave,

Now, doesn't that feel better? [Linked Image]

#1 I agree that when there is tape there is usually something going on that's wrong. Too many wires in too small a wirenut, too much insulation stripped off, wires too short, or my personal favorite - Twisted the Wrong Way! [Linked Image]

#2 Don't bite me here - I don't see a violation in wrapping a receptacle with tape, I do it myself. I feel that it makes things just a little safer for the remodeler that may have to pull it out, or the wallpaperer, etc. And it cuts down on the likelyhood of contact with a bare ground when Romex is used or the Box supports (We call them Madison Clips) in old work applications. You are right, though, if things are done correctly, and not touched by anyone afterwards - there is no need, But I would rather be safe than sorry especially in Residential work where a cover might break or be left off and a child might put their finger in the box. That's just one of my 'things' [Linked Image]

Anything else?

Bill
S
OOPs,sorry 'bout that chief [Linked Image]....ok, here goes, i'm getting REAL tired of explaining why it needs to be ( or be on ) a GFI. As a matter of fact, i'd rather hook 'em up to a cardiac monitor, and show 'em that way [Linked Image]

G
Bill,

The tape on the recp is the lesser of my two peeves but there is a solution to the recp one, from Eagle Electric. They have a hospital and industrial spec grade recp that has a little plastic cover that snaps over the terminals after it is wired (under the screws NOT those stab-in holes in the back, but that's another peeve.)

Dave T.

D
doc Offline
well #1 is any color wire being used for grounds and neutrals,#2 is wire splices that are jam packed not only in J-boxes but in control panels for equipment or just boxes or panels over crowded

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard