ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
cinkerf Offline OP
Does the exhaust fan and / or the make up air fan of a commercial kitchen range hood have to be wired to the fire alarm system to shut off in the event of a fire?
(Frank) cinkerf

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Frank,

I think that may be something that the locality decides. Check with the Fire Marshall. In at least one area here (LI, NY) I hear that they are requiring in residences that the A/C Blower or Attic Fan/Whole House Fan be connected to the (interconnected) Fire Alarms. It would make sense (to me) that this area would also want it in a situation like you describe, (maybe new installations?) but I do not know this to be true. Perhaps others can say if their area requires it.

I have seen Restaurants that use fans to makeup air that is taken out by the exhaust and it seems to me that this would be fertile ground for a Fire and it would probably be a good idea to have them shut down during a Fire.

Bill
G
Frank,

The units that I have worked on had a blower shut-down but not on a general alarm. Only if the fire supression system on the hood (or gaylord, as the Navy called them) was activated.

Any one know where the name gaylord, for a hood comes from? Is it a Mfg name ?

Dave T.

Link Copied to Clipboard