ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#76171 12/22/00 10:26 PM
D
doc Offline OP
I do not like this type of circuit but am in a tough spot and have no choice but to do one so is this correct: 2 hot wires 1 grounded conductor 1 ground and the breakers go on different phasses side by side and tied together.The company I work for has ask me to put one in , and after explaining to them why to me these are dangerous circuits they have agreed that they would rather not have them in the plant so it will get removed in the near future but for now.I know I didn't need to give all this other gibberish

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76172 12/23/00 08:39 AM
Doc,

If I understand it correctly this is a standard multiwire circuit and very common. (2 120v circuits) If the two "Hots" are sharing the same grounded (neutral) they must be on different phases to prevent overload. You didn't mention if this is in 1 cable or in a raceway, but having a common tie-handle (2 pole breaker) is considered safer by many and is often required.

Happy Holidays! [Linked Image]

Bill
#76173 12/23/00 10:54 AM
If you think about it, all 120/240V systems are "multiwire"... If you loose the grounded conductor at the meterbase, disconnect, transformer, etc. a 240V series circuit will do interesting things to VCRs, TVs, Refrigerators, and just about anything plugged in at the time. Just had a slightly corroded "neutral" destroy a customer's VCR and quite a few bulbs the other day... a little sandpaper and some antioxidant and now I'm a hero... [Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#76174 12/23/00 11:02 AM
G
Several years ago, while in a code upgrade class, the question came up regarding multiwire branch circuits based on Article 210-4. It became evident what the code requirement was that when the two phases supplied two or more devices on a single yoke and only in a dwelling did it need to have the breakers connected. An example is a duplex receptacle that is split so that the top is fed by one phase and the bottom is fed by another, must be fed by breakers that are interconnected but only in a dwelling. If you had a 2 gang box with two receptacles and one duplex is fed by one phase and the other duplex from another phase then the breakers are not required to be connected. Your situation appears to be outside of the requirement as it is not a dwelling. The untrained, unsuspecting and unauthorized may have a problem with a multiwire branch circuit due to the hadzard of lifting a neutral they think is from a circuit that is dead. The code is a minimum and it's not a bad idea to have a common trip breaker for a multiwire branch circuit.

Dave

#76175 12/23/00 06:25 PM
D
doc Offline OP
That is the very reason I don't like them is because of some unsupecting person taking it loose,sparky you are correct on multi at the pole and meter base and panel but there you know that the neutral is for 2 phasses while out in the houise or a plant a lot of people do not realize what they are or how to deal with them

#76176 12/24/00 12:58 AM
Doc,

For these reasons it would be safer to have a 2 pole breaker controlling the multiwire circuit. When 1 circuit is turned off the other one will be also. So there will be no problem when disconnecting the neutral.

Bill
#76177 12/24/00 06:14 AM
D
In many applications 3 conductors share one neutral, would you use a three pole breaker?
Safety considerations are great, but common sense has to enter the picture at sometime. We recently worked in a nursing home, 3 circuits shared 1 nuetral- circuit 1 fire alarm panel- circuit 2 receps near alarm panel- circuit 3 receps in patient room. With a 3 pole breaker a overload on circuit 2 would turn of circuit 3 and possibly shut off important medical equipment. Not the way i would circuit this area, but we need to be realistic- cost saving is very important in todays world. I geuss the point off all this is, take a minute and find out what everything is before you discconnect anything.

[This message has been edited by dandy467d (edited 12-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dandy467d (edited 12-24-2000).]

#76178 12/24/00 10:48 AM
G
Dandy the application you used must follow the strict requirements in article 517, "health care facilities", specifically 517-30(c)(1) which would indicate the circuit you called #3 not be for the receptacles in the patients room designated as a life safet branch circuit or part of the emergency system. Logic is a big part of deciding what will be feed by a multiwire circuit. I'm glad my last post left me some wiggle room to see that it is not always good to have a common trip breaker but I feel it is always essential to have a qualified person (as discussed in another thread) work on the installation and maintenance of multiwire circuits and in fact all electrical systems.

Dave T.

[This message has been edited by gto6t7 (edited 12-24-2000).]

#76179 12/24/00 10:53 AM
Dandy,

Hello!

I was just trying to point out that from a safety standpoint of "less than qualified" persons working on the Electrical system the common tie handle is the safest. I areas where you would not want crital circuits being turned off or tripping off with others I believe single pole breakers are best. These areas should also have qualified personnel installing and servicing the system so it is not a problem. The only area I have seen this required is in residential work in some jurisdictions.

Bill
#76180 12/24/00 11:13 PM
D
doc Offline OP
this has opened up a bigger disscussion than I thought it would , so let's go here for a second if you put 2 breakers on same phase and then run you 2 hots and one neutral is this a code violation or is it just dangerous or is it ok to do this and would you have to tie breakers together or not

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard